Call to Power 2 Preview: Day 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call to Power 2 Preview: Day 6

Day 6, posted on Day 7. Real life came knocking my door....
    Just a small comment on deity and two lengthy replies to posts with lots of questions

The Impossible Medium Game
    I've put aside my first game(although i want to end it to see well, how it ends ) and started a new one on impossible(deity) level so far I've survived...

That's what I was saying. The deity game turned out to be a prince(medium) one. Somehow I put the wrong setting... And I was wondering why I do so well
    Anyway, on my second game on medium, the game seemed much easier. BUT the next game which was a really deity one, sees impossible after the first turns. More "research" is needed....

Reply to Ralf
    One of my two great(in length ) replies

- In CTP2 there seems to be a need for building pretty big and well-balanced 8-12+ unit armies to be able to achieve anything at all. I can see why increased 800-1000 turns can be helpful here.
    oh yes, it is quite often to be against 6-10 units when you attack a city. bombarding a city before attacking it is the only way to go(of course you can attack directly with 2-3 stacks if you like )

- Does it cost just as many turns/resources to build any average single military-unit in CTP2, comparing with any average unit in Civ-2/SMAC?
    i would say it takes the same time spent on the game

- Can i tweak the AI to work towards the same 30-40% resource emphasize - not only through mayors, but also how the AI manage its own AI-controlled cities?
    perhaps. there are texts file for the building lists and the tile improvements according to the mayor choice. not sure if the ai uses them for itself as well, but i guess it does

- Is it easier to build these mega-cities? I couldn't help noticing many really big cities, despite the fact that many of its city-area tiles wasn't cultivated.
    well, if you consider that my own cites were at about 16-17 and the ai had a few 26 size cities...

- Any max numbers of cities per government type?
    still exist. it is shown on the national manager, on the government selection tab

- Any government-related individuate city-grow limits?
    no

- Does happiness-problems get an increasingly bigger (and finally, almost unsolvable) problem with 30, 40, 50, 60+ empire-cities? Any practical limits? How big can an empire be without self-destruct?
    didn't get over 35 in the first game. i'll try to go back to it later...

- About "settler-mania" (this is a MAJOR issue for me). What im aiming at is the strategy of building settlers, settler and almost only settlers early on
    due to the fact that the city are can now be much bigger you will either accept that you will have small sized cities or you have to find lots of lots of space. and if you're not alone on the continent you will have to remember the existence of borders

- How many undeveloped cities (without any, or very few city-improvements) can i build early on, before i *must* build more city-improvements? Is there any improvement-related limits on unrealistic super-fast empire expansion?
    well monarchy, republic and theocracy have a 20 cities limit(tyranny is at 10). you have to wait for fascism and communism for more(35)

- About the increased amount of game-turns: Any opinion how that affects the overall pace of the game? To the better?
    at first i thought it would take much more time. the thing is though that larger armies, build queues and mayors can make the game much shorter than what a 800-turn civ2 game would be

Reply to Slingshot
    And the other reply

- Will all the diplomatic options be reduced to just a couple of useful ones? (Like a 28-speed bike that you only use 4 gears on).
    depends on how you play the game i guess.

- Do the units keep shouting "Find the enemy!"? Does the settler always have to stretch so much, and does the monk unit have to wave its arms all the time?
    voices can be turned off like in ctp1, the settler sprite is different. I don't remember if the monk does anything different

- Are the Wonders balanced?
    cant say with only a couple of games

- So far, the best thing about the game are the music files released by Activision. (They're downright inspirational!) But are the rest of the tracks annoying?
    still playing with them. none of them annoying for me

- Can I play Zimmer's "Roll Tide" .MP3, or something by Gustav Holst in lieu of other bad tracks?
    you can have Winamp playing on the background

- Does the music change with the age, or are we going to listen to tribal drums while building underwater cities?
    no different music for each age

- Is there a unique feeling with each age, or does a player's strategy never have to change?
    well, when it comes to land, you always have ranged, defensive, offensive and flanking units. of course as new units come up (sea, air, special) and new governments are available you have to take some decisions

- Can a player be behind in wealth but use her science prowess to catch up?
    it depends

- If you don't get too many wonders, are you hooped?
    don't know

- Are there other aspects of the game that keep a player from enjoying a few hours of immersion?
    well, you wont find many "toys"(dancing diplomats, video advisors, throne rooms, city views...)

- My experience with CTP1 multiplayer was awful. How do I know that CTP2 will be better?
    didn't have the chance to play multiplayer

- Are all of the governments more balanced, or is everybody going to jump straight to Theocracy in the beginning of the game?
    theocracy takes some time...

- When another civ agrees to stop trespassing, is it going to keep breaking the agreement every second turn?
    in my last game i have trespassing agreements (which don't expire BTW) with 3 civs and they have kept them so far

- Are stealth units going to be sent in droves regardless of other civ's opinion of your own? (CTP1 was really a disappointment here).
    surprisingly i haven't seen many stealth units so far(even slavers)

- Is everybody going to hate you, and will it be almost impossible to set up meaningful trade routes? Will there be as much technology trading as there was in CivII? (I found CTP1 a dissapointment here, too).
    how to increase regard of others towards you is going to be one HOT topic on the strategy forum. things are complicated(in the good way)

- Basically, I want to know what it is that makes playing CTP2 more rewarding and immersive than listening to my favourite .MP3's and playing solitare.
    Imho it is very hard to ruin the civ recipie.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; January 17, 2011, 17:41.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog
Working...
X