similarities to THX-1138

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• similarities to THX-1138

Have you guys seen the film THX-1138? After watching it, I couldn't help but wonder how much Alpha Centauri's mood and feel may have been influenced by the film. Has anyone else noticed any similarities to the film? Basically it's a futuristic dystopia where things are highly controlled, citizens take drugs to control their emotions and sexuality. They live in an underground city and are assigned numbers for names.

A few similarities are that they all have shaved heads, which drones seem to have (and maybe everyone else).
    There is a scene in the Alpha Centauri clips where a drone spray paints a message on the wall, and then is trapped and killed, and a laser quickly removes the offending message. I was kind of reminded about it when I saw "This is city probe scanner. We've run across illegal sexual activity. It should be on your DTO screen now."

Listening to the guys on TV reminds me of hearing an interview with CEO Morgan
    "5 units of of detuned escalatories have not however prevented viruses and ordnance from invading our centers".
    "Never before have we been so contented"

Gives a new appreciation for what "drone riots" must be like.

The humor kind of reminds me of alpha centauri somehow... "where did you get this car?", "I was just issued it! I took it for a drive and ran it straight through a crowd at the dispersal center." [laughter]

I guess every faction's society must differ in Alpha Centauri, and is not a hell. I assume the most hellish ones are the Hive and the Believers, while the best are the Gaians and Peacekeepers. Still, I wonder if there are any futuristic elements (like mass surveillance) that even the better societies have that we would consider dystopian today.
Working...
X