It Turns Out That I Have to Give Up on Chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Turns Out That I Have to Give Up on Chinese

My textbook just introduced the idiom: 画蛇添足, which means "draw a snake and add feet to it." Apparently, this is a phrase to use in formal conversation to describing something done unnecessarily. However, I think it is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I burst out laughing every time I think of it.

Now the other option is: 脱了裤子放屁 which roughly means "take off your pants to fart" and has the same connotation. Of course, this isn't for polite conversation. Yet I find it wholly uninteresting. Having seen nearly every episode of "Family Guy," I have begun desensitized to fart jokes. Yet snake jokes are a laugh riot. Needless to say, I am unable to have polite conversations in China and find vulgar ones uninteresting.

The only solution is to hang up my hat and become a street artist specializing in snakes with feet.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"
Working...
X