Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone who can read latin out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone who can read latin out there?

I have this framed picture of a battle, but all the text is in Latin, now I don't speak Latin but I figured someone here might now a little (and as Spanish is more related to Latin than Swedish you might know some of the words from your own language).
    The title seems to be:
    quote:

DELINEATIO ACIEI ET PVGNÆ AD NORTRLINGAM VI. SEPTEMBRIS. A°M.DC.XXXIV

I have figured out that M.DC.XXXIV probably means 1634 myself, Nortlingam could be Nördlingen. But I am not sure of this.
    The picture shows a lot of formations and stuff and every little coloumn of pikemens has a number attached to it and under the picture itself there is a describtion of what the coloummn whit that number is.
    Number one for example says:
    quote:

Serenissimi REX HVNGARIÆ ET CARDINALIS HISPANARVM INFANS.

Does this mean something like the King of Hungary and the Cardinal of Spain?

Another interesting thing is that in the corner there is a note scribled down:
    quote:

Numerauit:

Equites Pedites
    REX HVNGARIÆ 6000. 7000.
    SER.INFANS CARD. 3500. 12000.
    Dux Lotharmgiæ 3000. 3000.
    -----------------------
    12500. 22000.
    -----------------------
    Weymar 4500. 5000.
    Gusatvus Horn 4000. 2300.
    Cratz 800. 3000.
    Wirtenbergensis 5000.
    -----------------------
    9300. 15300.

This I guess is the number of men, although I have no idea of what Equites and Pedites is.
    It looks like one of the many drawings that where made of battles during that time.
    The landscape is plane whit a few hills, there is a village and some trees in the background.
    Now my question is this:
    Is this the battle of Nördlingen? and if it is, what do all those words mean?
    Hope somebody can help
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

I can't read Latin but as you have said Spanish is more related to it than Swedish. Let's see what I can do:

Delineatio = picture, drawing
    Pvgnae = fight
    infans = prince (cardinalis infans) rifhtful/legitimate son ?
    Equites = horseriders
    Pedites = on foot

Someone should confirm all this, as I have said I can't read Latin.

I think you're right, it is the battle of Nördlingen even without seeing the picture.

Comment

Hmmm... If it is the battle of Nördlingen Jesús could us this to check for how many units to give the spanish player when he is to retake the spanish road (in his new 30 years war scenario), they where all used in this battle, and here is the name for every single unit on this picture.

Comment

Where is the picture???

Comment

My Latin is a little rusty, but the first line means "View of the Battlefield". For a site that can translate Latin try here.

------------------
          All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
          [This message has been edited by cpoulos (edited April 12, 2001).]
          I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
          i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

quote:

DELINEATIO ACIEI ET PVGNÆ AD NORTRLINGAM VI. SEPTEMBRIS. A°M.DC.XXXIV

The lineage (how do you say, the lining of people next to each other, for military reviews, etc.) of ??? (don't know what aciei is) and of the battle at Nortrlinga on 6th of September, the year 1634.

quote:

Serenissimi REX HVNGARIÆ ET CARDINALIS HISPANARVM INFANS

the very serene King of the Hugars and the infantry (???) of the Cardinal of Hispanans.

quote:

Numerauit:
            Equites Pedites

counted: horsemen footmen.

quote:

Dux Lotharmgiæ

Duke of Lotharmgia

I am a bit uncertain about the word Infans. I have no dictionary nearby, so I can't look it up, but infantry seems the most appropriate, even though in the numbers later on there do appear to be mounted troops there too.
            Well, it may mean "child" too, but that doesn't seem very logical..

Hope that helps...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Waku on 04-12-2001 09:44 AM
              Where is the picture???

I would either have to find a scanner I could use or write every unit down myself.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Allard HS on 04-12-2001 09:56 AMI am a bit uncertain about the word Infans. I have no dictionary nearby, so I can't look it up, but infantry seems the most appropriate, even though in the numbers later on there do appear to be mounted troops there too.
                Well, it may mean "child" too, but that doesn't seem very logical..

I just checked whit Cpoulos site:
                infans=

infantia : infancy, babyhood.
                If he is a cardinal he would be thier "father", right?
                [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 12, 2001).]

Comment

I think I've found the answer:

In Spain:

Principe (=prince) applies only to the crown prince.
                  Infante applies to the rest of princes.

Ferdinand of Austria was appointed cardinal and archbishop at the age of 10 (spanish catholic fanatism).

That's why he was known as "el cardenal infante" (cardinalis infans)

Comment

Is this the picture?

http://www.noerdlingen.de/kultur/text_stadtmuseum.htm
                    [This message has been edited by Waku (edited April 12, 2001).]

Comment

No, mine is of the battle, not the city
                      I don't think it is on the net. I have it here whit me at home.
                      I don't know where it came from, my dad gave it to me but he doesn't know where it came from either, he got it from his dad
                      [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 12, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 04-12-2001 10:34 AM
                        No, mine is of the battl, not the city

Do you know the author or something. I'm trying to find it.

Comment

No I don't know who made it, these kind of paintings (they are called Kopparstick in swedish meaning: Copper Stick in english but I don't think that is the correct phrase) where made by very many people in the 1600's.

Comment

I'll see what I can do for you Henrik, but my Latin is somewhat rusty from disuse. Generally, the first phrase you listed means something close to "The line of Battle at Nordlingen." Rex Hungariae means "the King of Hungary" The suffix of the 2nd word in this phrase is genitive; translate that as "of." So Rex=King + Hungariae=of Hungary. Et is simply "and" so the phrase indicates that the illustration is that of the troops of the King of Hungary and the Spanish Cardinal. I would translate the Dux Lotharingiae as "Duke of Lorraine." The previous statement by Waku is correct; pedites=infantry or foot troops, and equites (the old Roman word, BTW)=horse troops. The numbers that follow are certainly the numbers of soldiers in those formations.

Been awhile,
                            Exile

Lost in America.
                            "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                            "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                            "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

infans, infantes = infant. It is "infant cardinal of the Spanish"

[This message has been edited by Goingonit (edited April 20, 2001).]
                              I refute it thus!
                              "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X