Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latinos now are the largest minority in the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latinos now are the largest minority in the U.S.

Sorry if this is "off topic," but I think this would be the more apporopriate place to put this thread.

The most recent census numbers show that Latinos have overtakend blacks and now constitute the largest racial minority in the United States. This will undoubtedly have huge effects on American society, and we here are just beginning to feel them.

An infusion of Latino culture and the Spanish language over the past ten years reflects the changing face of America.

I was just wondering what people thought of this development

PS: i feel so stupid now because I took french in High School instead of Spanish
    "The only dangerous amount of alcohol is none"-Homer Simpson

quote:

Originally posted by Hoek on 03-18-2001 04:05 PM
    the largest racial minority

I wouldn't say latinos constitute a racial minority, in my opinion it's more a cultural minority.

I wonder, for example, how are clasified black people from Cuba in these statistics.

Comment

I think there's currently like 25-30 million people who have Spanish as the first language in the USA. That's a lot, and considering their 'growth rate' the US will soon become the 2nd country of the world with the highest number of Spanish speakers (The 100 million people of Mexico is hard to beat

My opinion? I'm one of them! Unlike a few years ago, I noticed Latino people are growing in confidence and sense of pride. Now for example they do not hide their origin by refusing to speak Spanish or change their names from Pedro to Peter... small steps yet, but on the right track.

Waku: you are absolutely right. This is one of these things nobody understand here. Still nobody fixes it. Along these lines, do the Spaniards qualify as Latino people? That depends on who you ask. Some will say yes, some will say no. In the end they let you decide. No kidding. Of course I always tick the latino box. I love you political correctness!

Comment

It's actually interesting. I made a mistake because the census reports Latinos as an ethnic group, and not a race. Therefore, a black person can classify themselves as black AND latino. There was a New York times article about how the new classification options gave something like 3 million people to classify themselves as more than one race or ethnicity.

Comment

He, he, in the last California census they put it a bit easier to me, that's true. I had to choose between "White, not of Hispanic origin" and "Latino/Hispanic". Problem is, strictly speaking I am Spanish, not Hispanic.

Comment

California is also very interesting because just in the past year, it became one of maybe 3 states that does not have a white (non-hispanic) majority. That is going to be extremely important since california is so important in American politics and society. Pete Wilson was a real idiot for his strong anti-immigrant stance.

Comment

yes, I don´t know if the spaniards are hispanic or not
              I spent last year in the us and they put me as hispanic, but I´m caucasian...
              not that I care about my skin color...

I think that the hispanic in the us are going to lose the spanish quite fast

the third generation doesn´t speak spanish anymore
              at least in Illinois and Wisconsin, maybe in California is different

Jay Bee, are you living in the US???
              Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
              Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
              miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Everyone loses their language once they come to the U.S. after a while. The first generation mostly speaks the native language and sometimes struggle with English, the second generation understands the language and occasionally speaks it, but primarily speak English. Usually, the third generation doesn't know any of the native language. That's the case with most of the people I know, including myself (I am a 3rd generation Dutch-American, but I don't consider myself Dutch in the least bit due to the fact that the only thing that connects me with Holland is my appearance) and last name.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Shaka Naldur on 03-18-2001 04:50 PM
                  the third generation doesn´t speak spanish anymore
                  at least in Illinois and Wisconsin, maybe in California is different

Yes it's quite different. But i'd say it's not only California but all along the southern border plus Florida. Ever heard the joke "Yes, we speak English". It's becoming true. There are places in Southern Cali, Texas, NM or Fla where you can have a completely normal life without ever needing to speak English.

quote:

Jay Bee, are you living in the US???

Look at my location field

Comment

yes, but weren´t you living in Toledo?
                    I thought that you used to live there but we were back to your mother country
                    Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                    Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                    miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-18-2001 04:57 PM
                      Look at my location field

In the Location FAQ thread, you still appear as currently living in Valladolid. Is it beacuse of solidarity with the Spanish bunch?

"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

well... there have been exciting (?) developments in that respect. I can't be more precise just yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X