Ramon Writes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramon Writes.

A selection of columns by Basil Thomson, originally published in the Buenos Aires Herald between 1949 and 1977.

------------------------------------

Esteemed Mr. B.T.,
    As convened with you I am writing a letter in English, which as you know I am studying in the fourth year. Disgracefully I find myself now that I have no topic upon which to write. So I will write to you of my humble self and what has been occupying me during the week.
    In the first instance, I have been studying hard the English. In the mornings I go to the academy and at night a professor comes to my house and we exchange conversation. She is a very sympathetic professor who has been in England and the United States and speaks English very well. With her I am making progress.
    On the Sunday I went to watch the football. The people were something fantastic and I was only accomodated because a sister of my cousin is a very good friend of the of the brother who dispatches the tickets. The quality of the football was formidable and I was left enthusiasted. The approaching Sunday I go again.
    After the play I came with a friend to the centre and we had a cup in a cafe on Corrientes. Like all the Sundays the cafe was well concurred, and we would have been left on foot if it had not been that my friend's sister had a companion who is intimate with with one of the patrons. Fortunately, it was his Sunday on guard.
    We stayed there for a long while, chatting. By coincidence we met two friends from the faculty of one which it was the birthday. We felicitated him and invited them to the table to celebrate. The boy who was complying years also studies the English and we talked together much.
    He is very studious. He speaks also the German and the French and touches the piano a marvel. In one time he used to play the rugby but then he broke his collar. Now he plays the basket so well that he nearly formed part of the contingent to the last Olympic Games.
    We had many cups and we laughed like madmen. After Tito (the one that is a friend of mine) invited us to the cinema. But how many people! Fortunately, Tito's father is uncle of the lawyer that is the apoderated one of the company and he was able to get the localities when already none remained.
    The reel was little interesting and nearly I slept. But the Grable- What a form! What legs! How could a man sleep with the Grable looking so formidable on the film? Tito informed me that when he was in the United States he found himself many women who appear themselves to this Grable.
    After the reel we went in Tito's coach to an intimate restaurant that he knows where one eats well. Disgracefully, the plate of the day was finished but fortunately the friend of Tito knew the sister of one of the waiter's brothers and we talked with the cook. We ate very well.
    After that what would you expect. We were all a bit taken so we went in Tito's coach again to the cabaret to dance and have another cup. What robbers! When they brought the addition we didn't have the import. Fortunately, one of the maitres is the godfather to the baby of a friend of Tito. In the dawn we went home. Next week, I write again.
    Saluting you attentively,

Ramón

Jajajaja... qué bueno!

Lo único es que a veces pienso que quizá mi inglés no resulte muy diferente cuando posteo aquí...
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
    X