What is this forum about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this forum about?

This must sound very stupid to you, the veterans of this forum, but what is this forum about. I see posts where peopl write all commands and... just what is it about!
    Chickens are not gay!

Hmmm, Stories and Diplomacy, it says so in the title

Stories:
    People used (and sometimes still do) to start stories. Others join the writing. Together they create fantasy worlds, fight wars or just create some funny read for others.

Diplomacy:
    is a board game. If you know "risk", you already know a (very stupid) spin off of "Diplomacy". Many people on the net play Diplomacy by email. So do we. The commands you see are orders for moves. Every game has a game manager, who recieves all the moves of every turn and then gives out the resolution with unit positions etc (that is what you see).

Comment

Do you need to buy any software to be able to play this?
      Chickens are not gay!

Comment

No, not at all. All you need is some brains and some info. I cannot provide the brains but here is the info:

Apolyton tutorial:
        http://www.geocities.com/myrdred_ii/tutorial.html

or the major Dip magazin:
        http://www.diplom.org/

or their FAQ:
        http://devel.diplom.org/Online/FAQ/rgd_faq.html

First, look at the map (you can find one in the tutorial) Basically, in this game you move around units on the map. You win the game by occupying a certain number of "support centers". These centers are the countries on the map with a large dot.

If you like to play, look for new games. Every week or so someone starts a new game. Unfortunately the "newbie" game just started, you were two days late

Comment

... of course, if you like, you could buy the boardgame "Diplomacy" or the computergame "Diplomacy". That would certainly help understanding the game.

Comment

Floris, no software is necessary. The maps are generally provided as a web-based or gif file attachements (occasionally) to an e-mail. The links to these maps can be posted in these threads.

If I may suggest that you choose one game to follow along as an observer. Let's say Dip 23 Colonial, which I am the GM. You can find access to the thread in this forum. From there you can observe the oders that were submitted b each player (privately) to me the GM, and examine the resolution of them according to the rules, which are applied by the GM. If you have questions, I can answer them as they arise.

Then after you have the hang of it maybe you can take a position in a game. I also highly reccoment that you peruse this tutorial site if you are interested in playing.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare.../tutorial.html

And yes, buying the board game would probably help even more. The only computer version (MicroProse) I know of is a piece of crap.
            [This message has been edited by RUFFHAUS8 (edited January 10, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll follow a few games as observer and may join one afer that. You have a new player amongst yourselves! (maybe that isn't good news at all...)
              Chickens are not gay!

Comment

Oh, don´t you worry, it´s good news alright! After all, there is nothing like an easy win against a newbie, nihihihihi

BTW, you could also follow the game "Newbie". It has just started, first moves are due saturday next week, so you can watch the gme from the very first moment. I´m GM. And if we ever need a replacement, you´ll be the first who I ask, if you like.

Comment

Yeah, I'd follow the newbie game rather than Dip 23... it'll be of more use.

Comment

Why will it be of more use?

Comment

I guess since a beginner should try to understand the basics first before being overwhelmed by difficult strategies.
                      Chickens are not gay!

Comment

Well, I think it might be more helpful to follow a game from the start, and also to understand the standard map before progressing on to some of the variants... ok?

Comment

Fair Enough, but Dip 23 is a Colonial game, which in effect is not a variant. It's an actual product that uses the same standard Diplomacy rules. And on top of that it's actually being played right now, so someone interested in following along could do so.

You and SnowFire are two peas in a pod, Lindley. Every time someone tries to help out you gotta come an piss all over it.

Comment

Compromise: follow both games Can´t do damage, can it?

Comment

Ah, you're a true diplomat, eh .
                              Chickens are not gay!

Comment

Working...
                              X