Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADCT Game B Fall 1908 Results: Gibster triumphs! (and archives of Games B, C)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADCT Game B Fall 1908 Results: Gibster triumphs! (and archives of Games B, C)

Well, here they are... the final moves and map of Game B.

Fall 1908
    http://www.geocities.com/myrdred_ii/...gamebf1908.gif

England (Iain Lindley) (0 builds)
    F Swe-Nwy (*bounce*) 2:2
    F NTH S F Swe-Nwy
    F Kie-Ber (*bounce*) 2:2
    F BAL S F Kie-Ber
    A Hol-Kie (*bounce*)
    A Bur-Mun(*bounce*)
    A Bel-Ruh
    F Gas-Spa (nc) (*bounce, dislodged, must retreat: Bre, OTB*)(assumed Brest)
    F MAO S F Gas-Spa (*cut, dislodged, must retreat: NAO, IRI, Eng*)(assumed NAO)

Austria (High Emperor Gibster) (2 builds, Solo Victory)
    A Stp S Nwy
    A Pru S Ber
    A Rom > Nap
    A Ven > Rom
    A Tri > Ven
    The rest hold

Italy (Gerwald) (2 disbands)

F NAf - MAO
    F POR supports Italian F NAf - MAO
    A BER supports Italian A MUN
    A MUN supports Italian A BER (*cut*)
    A MAR - GAS
    A SPA supports Italian A MAR - GAS
    F LYO - MAR
    F WMe supports Italian A SPA

France
    A Par S Italian A SOL->LOS (*void*)

Congratulations to High Emperor Gibster. I suggest you treat him nicely if you want to continue your feeble lives.

I've also archived all the moves of both Game B & Game C. Check out

www.geocities.com/myrdred_ii/

, the ADC website, for the full archives with moves, maps, & EOGS (for Game C at least). Speaking of EOGs... Start writing them! That goes for people who didn't write one yet for Game C too.

Note that Geocities is really screwy, so if you can't access the website, try again later. I can assure you it's all there even if you 404 the first time.

------------
    How about, A PAR supports Italian solo? -Gerwald
    [This message has been edited by SnowFire (edited August 14, 2000).]
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Congratulations Gibster,
    You do know that I will take you apart piece by piece in the final game.
    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Whoo-hoo! GC is working again...

Anyway, the maps and archives should work (and perhaps be of help in writing your EOGs). I also updated the stats page to give credit to Gibster for his victory.

Comment

About time Gibster won as Austria...
        The honorary duty of a human being
        is to love, I am human and nothing
        human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Ya see, all those times I was humiliatingly beaten as Austria were all part of my grand plan to score a wicked victory eventually... honest!

Comment

Oh, one more thing... do I get the points for making the map? There were only a couple of occasions where I didn't quite manage it, but that was due to exams, and now, because Snowie beat me to it

Comment

Never mind... well done Gibsie!
              [This message has been edited by Iain Lindley (edited August 14, 2000).]

Comment

Gibsie: That's RUFFHAUS's call, not mine, on the map-making.

And a notice for everybody: an award will be given out for the best use of a vegetable in your EOG. I only ask that it fit and make sense- I'd prefer a simple "I hacked Russia up like a rotten rutabaga" over the bizarre, but irrelevant "And truly, my territory became like poisoned celery on the moon."

Comment

Job well done, Gibster!

Comment

Snowfire has asked that I write an EOG. Well, here it is. Congratulations to Gibster: who I should have brutally stabbed in F1901M. Congratulations to Ian: who went from being pounded by P3T3R, to watching France self-destruct and anilalate itself. Who can forget the S1903M (French F Irish Sea D) and the countless NMR's? To Mao, Kropotkin and Imran: I hardly knew you as the Austrian-Italian jugernaught drove through you three. I had, at first, entertained working with Mao, but his opening moves didn't support my possible invasion of Gibby. Basically, I went into the game as lowly Italy, knew no one, and built myself to 10 SC before Gibster realized that he could stab me and win. I only regret not pressuring Gibster into helping me finish 2nd; especially in light of the ADT advancement so uncertain. All in all, in my first complete game in ADC, I learned never to dream as Italy!

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I started playing Diplomacy now. In my very first game (Diplomacy 3), which must have been over ayear ago, I played as Austria. I lost pretty quickly. Next game, (Diplomacy 4), I was Ukraine, but I fought Stefu for Austria tooth and nail, our feud crossing over to the off-topic more than once... then I was Austria on the original map another two times, I believe, in rather boring games, where I, once again, got annihilated. More recently, I've been Austria on the Imperial variant (Diplomacy 20), and it looked like I was going to conquer all for a while, but NMR's and persistent enemies have got in the way of this dream.

But as far as this game was concerned, I was always going to win. Selected as Austria once again, I had the experience. At the start of the game though, it looked like I had really messed up! Italy was in the perfect position to take me down, despite Gerwald's claims that he was not going to stab me. Not once, but twice I almost sent him nasty ICQ messages condemning him for apparently stabbing me, but my paranoia was unwarranted... I had an excellent ally in Gerwald's Italy, and my only enemy for a while was Turkey, whom Russia ganged up with me upon. His death was not as swift as I'd hoped, as Russia started becoming a thorn in my side.

With a three-way-alliance between myself, Austria and Italy (the other two having a very basic relationship), we were about to destroy Turkey. Each of us had armies and fleets in prime position to kill him, so I sent suggestions to Gerwald and Russia about how we would take him down - first of all, Italy, lacking in supply centres, would take the Turkish SC of Smy, then the next turn, Russia and myself would each take a remaining Turkish centre.

Mao's response, however, was that he should be the one who gets the Turkish SC in the spring, and then Italy and myself get one in the fall. Clearly, he was not going to be the reliable, unselfish sort of ally Gerwald was, so I destroyed him like a diseased potato. It didn't take long for my superior numbers and tactics to overwhelm the Russian homeland. In the end, Mao was left with StP, and could have been problematic if he'd allied his final unit with Britain; luckily he did not have this foresight, and I finished Russia off with ease.

From then, my victory was certain, unless Italy decided to stab me and draw out the game. Thankfully, he stayed loyal to the end, even when I was rampaging through his home supply centres It's just a shame he couldn't have beaten the British forces, but when France acts like he's being controlled by a double login of Iain Lindley, he didn't really have a chance... my thanks to him, and I really hope we're allies again in other games in the future!

Comment

From an honest point of view, I made a poor start to the game, betraying France's trust early on, by breaking an agreement to DMZ the Channel - "Dear England - You, sir, are a bad bad man. I intend to crush you, drive
                        you before me and listen to the lamentations of your women". This seemed to backfire, as my chosen ally Germany, under Imran, was swiftly swamped, and P3t3r took control of the Atlantic. Things looked bleak, and the Great British Navy seemed to be doing little more than treading water.

Fortunately, the French failed to decisively use their stronger position, and after a number of naive moves, P3t3r was forced onto the back foot, and responded by... NMRing. Although it helped in the short term, I was unable to capitalise long-term as I failed to move sufficient armies onto the mainland. My subsequent failure to make an impression on Iberia and Southern France cost me any chance of a successful outcome.

Gibster and Gerwald, meanwhile, continued unchecked, myself being reasonably powerless to stop them, stuck on the far side of the board. By the time the Italian forces reached a stalemate with my own troops in what remained of Germany, it was fairly clear that Gerwald's loyalty to his ally would inevitably hand him the game.

Anyway, congratulations are due to Gibster particularly, and also to Gerwald who, with a little more ambition, could perhaps have gone a little further. So, now I merely wait with fingers crossed, hoping to make the next round.

Oh, and finally, a big thank-you to all GMs and mapmakers... without you, these games would not be possible.

Comment

Snowie has commented that I forgot to compare my country with a vegi.....I choose SQUASH. I was yellow, spread out and prone to be mashed. Thank you and good night.

Comment

Working...
                          X