No announcement yet.

Do you make maps from scratch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well. I'm hoping to finish up the scenario today, and I can also whip up the map today, then, too. I'll try to do my best work, because I'm starting to get interested in seeing what a diplo game really is, and I'll probably try to follow the message board. So far I've just let the ideas for it develop in my head, and I haven't started laying down tiles yet.

You know, the scenario won't care if it has to wait another day before it gets play-tested. I pretty much promised I would do this for you, so I'll do the map first to make sure it gets the full treatment. It'll be a .sav file. I'll post the address for you later today or first thing tomorrow when I'm done.

What names would you like to have for the 7 starting civs? I should give them each a single settler unit and no techs. Is that correct?

--Snog

Comment

Snog - Yes, single settler and no techs (I didn't know that techs could be controlled). I'll get the Civs to you ASAP. Thanks again!
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

By the way: is it alright with you if I include features in the map which wouldn't appear on a randomly generated map; such as rivers on mountains or hills, or islands in lakes?

--Snog

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Snog on 01-13-2001 10:30 AM
          By the way: is it alright with you if I include features in the map which wouldn't appear on a randomly generated map; such as rivers on mountains or hills, or islands in lakes?

--Snog

Excellent! You may notice on the sample map I emailed you that I use things like that (in moderation) myself.
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

OK, cavebear

All done. You can download the game here: http://aspen.mine.nu/civ2/diplogameA.zip

You can start it by selecting load saved multiplayer game, and then choose diplogameA.sav. It's a .sav not a .net , but it will still work.

No tribe has techs all have one settler, all are in sight of a whale, and grassland, and usually a river.
            There are a couple of areas near the poles that might not be usable because of tundra, but everywhere else is good for city building.

The difficulty level is king; there are no barbarians or huts.

Since you didn't tell me names for the tribes they are all default names and city styles. If you catch me today, I can change the names and city styles for you.

--Snog

Comment

Snog - Great! I couldn't get the Civ names to you earlier because there were only 5 chosen. I'm assigning the remaining 2. Could you make them Celts, Zulu, Viking, Aztec, American, English, and Mongol?

Comment

What city styles do you want for each?

Here is my guess:

Celts- mideval
                Zulus- bronze age
                Vikings- mideval
                American- mideval
                Aztecs- bronze age
                English- mideval
                Mongols- Far east

Comment

The city-styles seem good. Thanks. I sent your earlier version to a couple of people (not playing in this game). One suggested that there should be a lot more land area with fewer individual land masses. Would that be difficult to do?
                  [This message has been edited by cavebear (edited January 14, 2001).]

Comment

OK, let me make the changes, and I'll post here when its ready.

Comment

Alright. The changes have been made. Get it at http://aspen.mine.nu/civ2/diplogameA.zip

I hope your diplogame is a success!

--Snog

Comment

Thank you so much for the revised map. I'm sure we will enjoy exploring it!

Comment

There's one thing which I've been pondering a bit.

I added some extra land mass last time I edited, but there's still a fairly big ocean on the map. Maybe for the type of game you are playing that extra ocean will just equate to wasted space because you can't build cities there.

In your opinion should I fill it up with land? If so, should I connect it to the land that already exists or have it separated by water? No players would start there, so it wouldn't be as if it would be isolating a player to make it a seperate continent.

I think the map should be fine as is, but this might just be a way to improve it. What do you think?

--SNog

Comment

Snog -The group decided to go with a slightly altered "known" map for the high ratio of land/ocean area. (I took the standard Europe map, grafted the East Coast od Asia to it, and eliminated the Pacific ocean and the Americas. And made it "Northern Hemisphere". Bizarre, but it seems to work right now and for this game. We really wanted a "land" game.

I am keeping the map you made for future use when the object is naval activity. It's a good map, and I personally hope to be playing on it soon. I like the detail, the land bridges, and the naval crossovers that we discussed. It will definately not be a wasted effort!

Did you ever see my email with the sample map I attached? I wasn't sure if that email address you posted was a valid one.

Comment

Yes, I saw it.

To me, even the map I made was a land map. Not much naval activity to be had with one lake.

I guess you prefer maps where no naval units are built whatsoever. You should have made this clear.

Your map seemed very odd because although it was round, it had almost zero water. Like mars or the moon.

Look at the large version of Earth that comes with civII. The size of the oceans are greatly reduced, and the ratio about equals that of mine. I guess I was going for a map that was sort of like their version of Earth.

I would suggest using the map you gave me over and over , just get someone to change the start positions for you. I don't think you would miss anything.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Snog on 01-19-2001 11:50 AM

First. please allow me to reiterate how much I appreciated you taking the time to make a map for me. I know that you put effort into it, and that you care about your maps. After getting some feedback from a few pther people, I looked at it myself. It is an interesting map, and I would not hesitate to play it in a naval game. It's just that this one was meant to be a land game.

quote:

Yes, I saw it.

I wasn't sure of that earlier, so I asked. But it (my sample) did clearly show the amount/kind of land that we were looking for.
                                quote:

To me, even the map I made was a land map. Not much naval activity to be had with one lake.

I accept the failure to descibe the desired map as mine alone. We anticipate 7 civs reaching up to 30 cities each. That takes a lot of land!

quote:

I guess you prefer maps where no naval units are built whatsoever. You should have made this clear.

There was certainly water on my sample map. No Pacific Ocean, to be sure, but room for navies to operate. And please don't be upset, but I did make the land/ocean ratios clear with the map I sent.

quote:

Your map seemed very odd because although it was round, it had almost zero water. Like mars or the moon.

Yes, but that was the game I wanted to set up. Some games are mostly naval, others are mostly land units. Some are islands, some are continents. It is not the place of the mapmaker to decide that. Meaning no disrespect, but I willingly adjust my own maps to the desires of the user.

quote:

Look at the large version of Earth that comes with civII. The size of the oceans are greatly reduced, and the ratio about equals that of mine. I guess I was going for a map that was sort of like their version of Earth.

Estimate the Land/Ocean squares of the Earth map and your map. You may be surprised. But I am not denigrating your map. It is a very good map, and I greatly appreciate your effort in producing it; it was just not the map I needed.

quote:

I would suggest using the map you gave me over and over , just get someone to change the start positions for you. I don't think you would miss anything.

Please do understand that I respect your map. When we want a naval map, I will definately use it. I have no reason to want you upset or unhappy, and I am grateful that you tried. I note that no one else even offerred to try to do the same, so your help means a lot to me.

I didn't use your map, but I really mean it when I say "thank you" anyway!

[This message has been edited by cavebear (edited January 19, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                                X