Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with cities.gif

Hi everyone!!!
    I'm a new mapper, and i have this totally weird problem when i'm editing cities.gif.
    I changed the flags of the civilizations, but when i tried to test the scenario, i couldn't open civ2.exe!!!

Can someone please help me?
    If you can, please mail help to gammalord@hotmail.com

Thank You!

Did you remember to change the palette?

------------------
    Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

Most likely you saved the cities.gif file in a wrong format. To check that out try saving the file in .bmp format. This should solve the problem. Later you can convert it into GIF 87a interlaced, which is the format that Civ2 normally uses.

Comment

Thanks for your help, but how do you convert files into GIF 87a? With Adobe Photoshop, for example, i can convert to GIF 89a, but...

Comment

The only reason not to use .bmp is the size. I use PSP, which allows to directly save into 87a. I do not know with Photoshp, sorry. But I believe 89a might work just as well. Try it and tell us what happens.

PS. BTW, I made a stupid mistake. The preferred format for Civ2 is 87a non-interlaced. Sorry for that one.

Comment

I never knew there was a difference in the .gif files other than some are still images and some are animated ones!
            Any version of PSP works fine, but I also got the impression that .bmp files are accepted. Is this correct?

------------------
            I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
            I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ruoxiaohai on 01-01-2001 03:33 AM

Any version of PSP works fine, but I also got the impression that .bmp files are accepted. Is this correct?

My first Civ2 italian version never accepted BMP formats for scen... but i think that's because DLLs were re-written in italian. Civ2 MGE is another story.
              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
              "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

BMPs are accepted since Fantastic Worlds

------------------
                Civ2000
                Blah

Comment

Yep, as I said above the only drawback of .bmp files is that they are much larger than .gif files. This means a much bigger zip file, which is always annoying, especially if you are not allowed to upload files larger than 1 Mb

Comment

Although bmp files are normally much larger than gifs, they actually compress to a SMALLER size. It seems paradoxical, but it's true.
                    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Working...
                    X