No announcement yet.

Playing as barbarians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, for Barbarians in Civ Multiplayer, I do it another way.

If you hex edit the save file, you will see in the first few lines a triple repetition of the number of the color of the civ you’re playing. For example, 01,01,01 if you play the Romans; 070707 if you play the Mongols. You change that to 000000 and you play as the Barbarians.

If you’re in 4000BC wait a few turns before you are granted a few units, either horsemen from a shrine or archers from a trireme and try to conquer the world that way.

But what a challenge ! (as far as I have discovered, but I shall try to play a full game)
    1) You don’t lose if you ain’t got no unit and no city (very reassuring indeed)
    2) All your units are none ! (pretty cool)
    3) Without seeing the map, you see every unit of every civ moving (they got nowhere to hide)
    4) The AI won’t talk to you, but you can talk to them after establishing an embassy (that’s ok)
    5) You cannot see the fights, but you get the results with the f2 key (one can survive that)
    6) You cannot aquire any technology neither by research, conquest or diplomacy (hem, hem)
    7) And oh yes, you don’t get nothing from the huts (in case you were still optimistic)
    8) You don’t get any money by any means either. (hurps)
    9) As you have no tech, you can only build warriors and settlers. (very frustrating). But you can build barracks, though. Veterans warriors are better than warriors !

That’s what happened when I opened the cheat mode to give myself an humble settler and build a little city. Does anyone else wants to try it that way. I shall play a long game to see if after a certain number of turns I get some tech to build Knights for example. I remember that barbarians cities that I captured were often producing knights.
    Of course you should in your game settle for raging hordes, otherwise …

One could call that the ultimate nomad challenge !

I wonder if you can grant the barbarians some technology through an event.txt
    And it seems you are always going to be called Attila the Hunt.
    Maybe it could be useful in a scenario. By cheating you can give any unit to the barbarians.

Is it the same when you play the barbarians with the other hex editing variant, or are they able to act as a true civilization ?
    (it would surprise me)

I’m going to play a full game to be able to give more informations.
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

In v242 the barbarians act pretty much as you describe. You can research a tech, but discovering it doesn't actually "discover" it. I don't think you can ever build a military unit better than warrior if you conquer a city yourself.

And gifting myself some armour from the cheat menu has brought me to the conclusion that barb units suffer some big penalties while attacking. A couple of armours got killed off by a phalanx (in a city with no wall) without denting it.

Comment

Thank you Julius Brenzaida I can finally be destroyed as the barbs!!! I've been slaughtered as everyone else.

------------------
        "I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
        Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
        My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
        I AM CANADIAN!
        Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
        CornEmpire Owner/Operator
        Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

If you can't hex edit, it sometimes works (with limits) to set human player to No Human Player and reveal the Barbarian map.

Comment

Sorry,

I've got too much work to do (or is too much ego to endure such a beating).
            I'm not going to try to play a full game as Barbarians in the near future.
            If my experiences and those of Tom DeMille are the whole picture, it is really tough and maybe a bit boring.

And in my last comment I forgot to talk about these "ultimate" warriors in the capital stuff. It's great for OCC when your only defender in your capital is immortal, but as barbarians it is the worst cheat of the AI.

But maybe some deities have already won at the "barbarian level".
            Is it the case ?
            Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Hey Corn,
              Where are those pics I sent you?

------------------
              What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jcarkey on 08-25-2000 06:50 PM
                Hey Corn,
                Where are those pics I sent you?

I don't need them now. Thank you anyway. Would you still like me to post them??

I AM CANADIAN!
                Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
                CornEmpire Owner/Operator
                Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

Comment

Working...
                X