No announcement yet.

Preventing a unit from taking a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pourrions-nous satisfaire la subsistance la conversation en anglais?

Comment

Eyn : En effet, acheter une ville est un acte de guerre et risque de briser l'alliance. De plus je pense que si les Français sont controlés par l'IA ils n'acheteraient pas les villes.

Nemo : I reply in English because Cam wants to I don't think your first solution works because I think helicopters can take cities ! Anyway it was almost the same as using bombers because I can gave all units the ability attacking air units. Indeed it's a medieval scenario, so there are no air units !
      The second solution looks nice, I could also, with Events create a French unit near the city when the "Etat Major" unit is killed so that English have no chance to take the city ! As I'm making a multi-Events scenario I will have enough place to do it for each city. Moreover, I'm far from using all the units so there could be a different unit for each city. I think I'm going to do it that way...

------------------
      Pano
      http://www.campus.ecp.fr/~pano
      Pano

Comment

he les gars, j'savais pas qu'il y avait tant de francais ici! Et que Capitaine Nemo parlait francais..

Comment

All right, I've done it. I swhow you exactly what it is if someone needs it too. Here is what I put in Events.txt :

@IF
          UNITKILLED
          unit=Nantes
          attacker=English
          defender=Germans
          @THEN
          CREATEUNIT
          unit=Nantes
          owner=Germans
          veteran=no
          homecity=none
          locations
          endlocations
          @ENDIF

@IF
          UNITKILLED
          unit=Nantes
          attacker=French
          defender=Germans
          @THEN
          CREATEUNIT
          unit=Peasants
          owner=French
          veteran=no
          homecity=None
          locations
          endlocations
          @ENDIF

@IF
          CITYTAKEN
          city=Nantes
          attacker=ANYBODY
          defender=ANYBODY
          @THEN
          CREATEUNIT
          unit=Nantes
          owner=TRIGGERATTACKER
          veteran=no
          homecity=none
          locations
          endlocations
          @ENDIF

I'll do it for the main cities, or at least for the cities English armies can take.

Allard HS : C'est cool, On pourrais même imposer le français comme langue officielle d'Apolyton

------------------
          Pano
          Pano

Comment

Bonne solution, mais faut pas oublier de donner des city walls aux villes (importantes) pour eviter que toute la ville disparaisse. Parce que les events donnent une nouvelle defense chaque fois, qui tous, quand detruit, enlevent 1 du city size.
            C'est quand meme une tactique epreuvee des Allemands, quand ils doivent defendre, de detruire tout .

quote:

C'est cool, On pourrais même imposer le français comme langue officielle d'Apolyton

ouais. On peut demander Markos/Dan de creer un forum pour francophones.. c'est pas une bonne idee ca?

Comment

Please confine posts on this thread (largely) to the English language. This policy matter for Apolyton was decided some time ago. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry about the French... I just never get to use it anymore since I moved to the States...
                To clarify my 2 points:

A unit type 3 moves like a helicopter but CANNOT capture cities. It's ideal as a "killer unit" for AI Civs as long as there is no real oceans on the map.

The point about the very tough unit that defends the city is that the AI will not be able to kill that unit. He will probably not even attack the city. For example a 0a 18d, 4h, 0move unit, basically unkillable. But a "lowly" 8a, 2f unit in the partisan slot can take out that unit because of some weird quirk in the Civ2 program.

My new scenario "Second Front" utilizes this quirk in the following way:
                German pillboxes and coastal batteries protect all the entry points on the Normandy beaches blocking all approaches and making the June 44 landings a nightmare. Several of the coastal villages also have artillery and bunker positions inside them making them seemingly impregnable... They can wipe out 20 of the best Allied tanks without taking a scratch... Now comes the US "Demolition Engineers" lowly infantry carrying flamethrowers... they aren't much good at fighting enemy infantry or tanks but get them near one of the bunkers and poof it's blown up, even inside a city.

[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited May 12, 2000).]

Comment

Allard HS: Of course, I forgot to mention that all the main cities in my scenario have got City Walls !

Nemo : I'm not sure I've understood your idea. I don't understand how the 18d,4h unit can be killed ! Is it a bug in Civ2 ? Anyway, if I use it for my scenario, I would have to let only the "French" civilization playable and this is not my aim

------------------
                  Pano
                  Pano

Comment

Yes it is a bug... Somehow partisans get a huge bonus when attacking units with 0a, like freight, settlers, caravans and seemingly indestructible units like my fortifications in RedFront. Someone figured this out and did a lot better than intended in the scenario. Now I'm using the trick as a special feature in my next scenario.

And it shouldn't be a problem if you don't want other civs to capture those cities... If you're not playing as the French you have no business attacking those cities anyway... Isn't that the point?
                    And if it's not build the placement of those indestructible units into the event file on the first turn or load special rules for each civ that makes the units vulnerable when needed (This is pretty much mandatory anyway if you want a scenario that plays decently from multiple sides)

Comment

Captain Nemo: When you do release "Second Front, will it be on the Apolyton forums or elsewhere?

------------------
                      "There's one more thing you men can say when it's all over and you're home once more. You can thank God that twenty years from now when you're sitting by the fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough and say, 'I shovelled **** in Louisiana.'"
                      -General George S. Patton addressing his troops before D-Day landings June 1944
                      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

I will post it on any site that wants to host it...
                        When I get closer to complete I will start asking for testplayers. It is turning out to be as complex as Red Front so it's going to be several months before it will be ready. I am trying to give it the same historical feel as RF but this time seen from the Allied side.

Comment

Working...
                        X