No announcement yet.

breakthrough scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, Herr Härtel, Sie haben natürlich recht. Ich wusste schon das Sie das Antwort haben sollten... Although it is the most popular depiction of Alexander, I chose it anyway, because I believe it is also the most impressive one.

One and a half million pieces, eh? How impressive, and it wasn't even built by Greeks, but by those Barbarians instead...
    Of course, it was copied from a Greek painting, but still...

Just a few questions from one ignorent person to the all-knowing one, why do you call Darius "Codomannus"? I never heard him being called that.. And, as far as my Greek dictionary is concerned, it doesn't even mean anything!

So, you want an avatar of Darius? What about this?

Comment

Just a few questions from one ignorent person to the all-knowing one, why do you call Darius "Codomannus"? I never
      heard him being called that.. And, as far as my Greek dictionary is concerned, it doesn't even mean anything!

I don't know what Codomannus (or Kodomannos) means, I have however read this name a couple of times. Maybe it is supposed to be the 'boyhood name' of Darius, like Ochus was the original name of Darius II, Asices was the one of Artaxerxes II, Arses that of Artaxerxes IV etc. etc.
      Your Avatar is exactly what I had in mind, however I don't know how to add it...
      Follow the masses!
      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Stefan, save the pic on your HD, then go to the control panel. There is an option somewhere where you can upload the pic you want to have as avatar. The second option is to bring it online and use a link, but the first option is better in my eyes...
        Blah

Comment

A few years ago when Michael Jeszenka was very active in Civ2, his Sword of Shannara was a fairly innovative scenario - especially with his expansive use of sounds. I playtested that scenario and found that it immersed me into its "world" more than many other scenario's ever have.

Mike also was one of the first designers to advocate higher unit stats to put firepower and hitpoints to better use. Although as of late more scenarios have units with smaller stats, for a long while large numbers was the key, and as I recall Mike was one of the first to do this. I know this isn't breakthrough designers, but he used that in just about all of his scenario's so I figured that I'd just point out him instead.

John Ellis' Bonaparte was also innovative in his use of invisible fortresses in nearly all land terrain squares (and a few sea squares as well). Not only did this better-simulate early 19th century warfare IMO, but it also gave the AI a better chance (how often do you see the AI stack its entire army on one square just to be slaughtered in your next turn).

I thought that Allard's Boer War scenario's use of having barbed wire and blockhouses appear along your supply routes was a nice feature as well.

These are just a few examples that I can think of right now - but they make for a more interesting read than a *bump!* message to get this thread moving again

Thanks,

JP
          John Petroski
          PetroskiJP@hotmail.com

Comment

Just a few questions from one ignorent person to the all-knowing one, why do you call Darius "Codomannus"? I never heard him being called that.. And, as far as my Greek dictionary is concerned, it doesn't even mean anything!
            Uh, thats a latin word. The dead givaway is the -us ending. Few greek words end in -us. if it were -os you'd have an arguement. Anyway, I looked it up at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/ under tools for those interested, and it says that Codomannus is the surname of Darius. Mabey its from the Persian, or mabey thats what was handed down, but it is evidently used.

Ioanes

Oh, and I like John Ellis' game Hellas as a great dipiction of the greek city-states and the Persian invasion.
            Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
            http://john.jfreaks.com
            -The Artist Within-

Comment

Working...
            X