Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask not what your community can do for you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any graphics editing other than Microsoft Paint per chance? Fireworks?

Comment

Nothing besides MS Paint and Photoshop, sorry. In any case, the job would probably be more suited to someone who's been more involved with scenarios and SLeague than me.
      -GeoDan

Comment

Dan,

It's certainly your call, however if you were to give it a shot, I'm sure the software thing wouldn't be a
        major issue. You can still take and create screenshots with the Print Scrn key and MS Paint, however I think some of the text effects used in many banners for reviews might be more difficult to achieve with Paint. I'm not that familiar with Photoshop, but by the looks it's a pretty powerful program. As before, nothing to get unduly concerned about.

Comment

Is there somewhere I can download Paintshop Pro?
          -GeoDan

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Geography Dan on 01-13-2001 10:22 PM
            However, I may unfortunately not be ideal for the job, as I certainly am no scenario expert

Shouldn't a cadetship be someone who is an expert at scenarios, thus better able to handle and present the Scenario League's content?

Comment

You know, I'd like to get in on this, but it is IMPOSSIBLE for Gamestats to give me access to their FTP servers... I don't think they are capable.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Clark on 01-15-2001 03:12 PM
                Shouldn't a cadetship be someone who is an expert at scenarios, thus better able to handle and present the Scenario League's content?

Exactly.

-GeoDan

Comment

DV: there is lots of stuff to do that does not require FTP. My old job as reviews editor for example. Come to think of it you would make a great reviews editor Darth, since you write a third of the reviews anyway

Comment

Cam:
                    I would be interested, but it's simply that (considering I will leave school this year and so have to do a LOT of things) I realized I MUST reduce the time spent on Civ2... I sometimes even doubt that I will ever finish my very first scenario (which is a really ambitious project I have been working on for years)
                    I'm sorry my days aren't 48 hours long each...

@Dan:
                    quote:

Originally posted by Geography Dan on 01-15-2001 02:33 PM
                    Is there somewhere I can download Paintshop Pro?

You can find a time-limited shareware version at http://www.jasc.com/

Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

Thanks to all who have indicated a willingness.

Just on the matter of "I'm no scenario expert" and Steve's concern, it's true that some scenario experience would lend a fair bit to the extent of contribution that a volunteer would make to the League. For instance, my current capacity as Design Tips Editor would be pretty compromised if I had no scenario authoring experience. Many of the tips that I've received from 'the community' have needed a second opinion and editing. Also, the majority of input/contributions come with no graphic files, so you need to understand the tip in order to create purposeful supporting graphics. With that said, I'm still 'old school scenario design' myself, and have plenty still to learn about some of the newer and more ambitious approaches to authoring seen in 2000.

On the other hand, you don't need to be a scenario authoring expert in order to handle many of the reviews or oversee competitions. Indeed, coming in 'a little fresh faced' might be quite useful in providing better resources for budding designers.

Dan, if you don't feel confident about the job, that's fine. Obviously you can still make contributions and suggestions without having to take on an editorial role (indeed, that's the idea of the League - it's a community project).

DarthVeda, what's the problem with Gamestats? I've gotta confess, my ability to log onto the servers at times has been sporadic. I have two ISP's, and only one ever has much success in this department. I thought it must have been an Australia - US problem.

SCDARS, thanks for your interest. If you feel you haven't got the time, again, that's fine. Much as above, this does not preclude you from making contributions to the League as a reviewer or tip provider.

Comment

Adobe Photoshop is the only Graphics Program I can work with. Is that allright?
                        Follow the masses!
                        30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Stefan,

Again, I'm not that familiar with Photoshop, however it does look like a good program. In order to do what we're doing now, you need to be able to take screenshots, and do some resonably elementary graphics effects - drop shadows, cutouts, blur, sharpen, gradient fills, simple text effects, that sort of thing. If Photoshop has a 'optimize for web' facility, so much the better, but there are a ton of other options for optimising graphics for fast download. If Photoshop is missing a few of these features, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Comment

Yeah, Photoshop can serve with most of these things.
                            Follow the masses!
                            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

OK - well it would seem like Stefan's it! Anyone else who's game, please advise promptly.

Edit: ... Stefan and WarVoid.
                              [This message has been edited by Cam (edited January 21, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X