Terribly basic design question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK guys,
    Thanks for all this help. As it stands now, I've been able to do all the graphic work needed. I still want the gameplay integrity of the original scenario, but I just needed to make the new unit graphics fit the predetermined roles that the designer intended.
    But Now my problem is with the events. I still haven't been able to get the @DEBUG thing to work. Would having a unit with different name (in the rules vs. in the game itself) cause the debug not to work. I've toyed with the names whilst in the units-editor. Most (if not all) were automatically changed in the rules.txt
    I could painstakingly go through with both the game, and the rules open to verify that all names correspond.
    I just want to know why the debug thing won't work!
    I will say that the very first events don't even seem to pop up. It's sort of an introductory one that explains the scenario a bit... but because of it's dissapearence, I guess there is a problem even before that?

If I just grab the original rules.txt from the author, it won't work either because I've changed unit names. But in this case it still gives me an "events.txt error" rather than a "rules.txt error". Hmmmm

I'm not trying to play like I'm some kinda scenario builder. I'm just a player who is interested in this side of the game. I'm just trying to learn more. If I had any kind of computer training, I would certainly not have all these lame questions for you guys.

------------------
    I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
    [This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited May 03, 2000).]

Comment

@BEGINEVENTS
      @DEBUG

Thats how it goes.
      And you DO NOT have to capitalize.
      This is basic programming.

Comment

I can´t solve Your problems, but this may be helpful: When You create new events, they only work if You START the scenario again. They do not work with other savegames, because these use the events which are saved with the game.
        You can use the DELEVENT.EXE to remove events from older savegames (usage: delevent "name of the saved game" ).
        After that, the savegames use the events from the EVENTS.TXT
        Blah

Comment

Like I said, @DEBUG does not always work, even when people understand basic programming.

Which is the better use of your time? Trying to figure out why debug won't work for you? Or painstakingly comparing the names in your files?

I don't really know. I'd love to hear that you've solved your @debug problem. But I suspect you will be wasting your time. Personally, I've given up on the debug feature. It might be a version issue (it works fine in my ToT, but not with my MGE; however, I'm pretty sure it worked with MGE before, though I could be recollecting my, now-lost, FW version).

But do let me know if you figure out why it doesn't/didn't work for you.

From what you've described, the most likely problem is that you've used a unit name or a civ name slightly incorrectly in your events file - one misplaced or forgotten "s" is all it takes. The next area to look at is the event structure - if you've kept the previous structures and only changed the values, this shouldn't be a problem (unless you accidently added or deleted something).

Comment

Working...
          X