• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the menu.txt file.
    Change the trigger letter.
    Old - &Build New City|b
    Change To Example - B&uild New City|u
    The AI dosen't recognize the new letter for commands and dosen't found new cities.
    I tried this once before and I think it worked. Have'nt really needed to make this kinda change before.

Comment

Nemo: You don't want to allow the AI to have engineers in a scenario with 255 cities already in place.

Otherwise whenever the AI tries to found a new city, the player will get bombed with messages about 40 times each turn. Trust me, you can make the AI "9" in perfectionism, but they will still insist on founding a billion cities.

"Too many cities" or something like that. I've seen it before.

It simply prevents the appearance of a new city and the settler/engineer sits around until toyed with again (the AI tends to be a determined little bugger).

Side Note

In Kyokoujitsu (Rising Sun), the only power that will have engineers will be the Japanese, because japanese soldiers will act as settlers, eating food and taking population with them.

The way I plan on having no cities allowed to build is to build 255 cities spread acrost the four maps. Whenever the player founds a new city, they will be given something to the equivalent of "Sorry, you may not found new cities in this scenario."

So unless the AI should somehow coerce a japanese unit out of japanese hands, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I've almost finished map 1 of 4, I'll upload it sometime tomorrow so people can have a peek.
      [This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited April 21, 2000).]

Comment

I guess my post wasn't clear:
        The AI has NO settlers and NO engineers.
        The human player has Settlers and engineers and I want to prevent the HUMAN player from building new cities because the scenario lasts 2 months... not enough time to build a city + it damages the strategy.

Comment

Nemo, don't freak out.

I thought I was being clear from both sides.

If you pre-build 255 in the scenario, and it starts with 255 cities, no more can be built!

The settler will simply refuse with a message "Max 255 cities" or something.

Comment

I just tried changing the letter. I replaced b with y and it had no effect whatsoever.

I also placed it into the main directory and Civ crashed when starting.

Would have been nice...
            The Lost Geologist Blog
            http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

Nemo: Apologies. I read your post in a hurry, and I thought you said everything but building cities.

And I think you will believe me when I say I do not have enough time to visit these forums. If you didn't notice, I spelled "here" as "hear" while posting in a hurry.

Something is wrong with the world when I do something like that.
              Please Visit:
              http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

What about deleting that line from the orders altogether?

Nemo, will you have settlers at the start and want to restrict making new ones? You could make them hard to build and require them to have 5 food upkeep per turn - making any existing settlers more valuable as workers than colonists. What about a house rule as well (I agree they are copouts but if the problem is human only it will work)?
                "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                -OOTS

Comment

Now if you mean keeping the HUMAN player from building cities but allowing the AI to build cities, there is NO WAY to do that without keeping engineers from Humans altogether or setting down a house rule.

Sorry, didn't read that right the last time

Comment

If you delete the line and leave it empty the game will use the menu.txt from the main directory.
                    If you then place the changed menu.txt also into the main directory the game will crash
                    (and if you have a lot of bad luck the computer will too).

------------------
                    Mathias' Civ II Page
                    http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
                    The Lost Geologist Blog
                    http://lostgeologist.blogspot.com

Comment

The key is that I want the units to act as military units but eat 2 food per turn. I hate having "House Rules". In this case I could remove Cst, Rad and RR, prebuilt X invisible neutral cities (=Total 255)out in the ocean and make the road/irrigation/mining time factor horribly long...

Just a clarification on what Mr. Nemo wants.

------------------
                      St. Leo
                      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

How about this:
                        A special type of land which produces 0 food.
                        Settlers eat two foods and cannot add to city after size 1.
                        This way any city built in the middle of this type of land will be disbanded in one turn.
                        On other land squares place cities close to each other enough so no new cities can be built either.
                        No food caravans.

Comment

OK I'll give you a little more insight:
                          Human motorized units (Tanks, trucks, mobile infantry) will be settlers... Food will be renamed "fuel" and replaced with a Jerry-can symbol. The whole idea being to use "Fuel trucks" (Food caravans) to bring fuel forward to your motorized forces... The city inhabitants will be reprogrammed to eat 0 food so city growth will not be affected. Only special terrain (Fuel depots) in the back of the Human's country will produce Fuel.
                          This makes the "settlers" ability to do anything but fight a real nuisance. I can disable everything except building roads and building/joining cities. (I don't allow irrigation, farming or mining, I don't give the "Rad", "Cst" or "RR" advances to the human player).
                          I saw somewhere that destroying a city by transforming the terrain to ocean (Via events) removes it from the game but not from the City list so it still counts towards the 255 max.. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Just thinking out loud but what if...

You cannot build a city next to another city right? So what if some clever sod finds the hex value for this (like stopping cities building ships by hex editing, discussed on another thread) and makes all squares 'next to a city'.

(PS just an idea and I can't actually do this myself so I invite someone else to do this)

Comment

Working...
                            X