No announcement yet.

Attention!!!! The UMIP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nemo, I had the same thing at Yaroslav! watch out for those Karls!!!
    I find that sending a few Siberian regiments into the lands NW of Kirov and fortifying them gives me great Ural security. You may loose one, but if you fortify them in the right pattern, you'll be able to counterattack on the next turn.
    The only problem with this is that your Siberian guys may be needed elsewhere...
    Decisions, decisions.....

------------------
    I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!

Comment

Has anyone else checked the hidden special pattern for defensive terrain? I started to work on it last evening, but I didn't get very far. Not to ruin anyone's fun, but several locations look very promising. Unfortunately coal mines don't give any defensive bonus over plains, and I think the readme may misstate the advantage of paper mills at +100% instead of the actual +50%, but kollectives are +100%....
      Be the bid!

Comment

Although I've found some loopholes in RF, I figure that in the next version those will disappear. And of course people can argue that I was not against the Germany, but against the designer.

Hence, I'm now working on a strategy which does not use any loopholes of the design. I will not attack Finland. I will not attack Germany or Romania from the sea-- I'll beat them straight forward.

I need to test my strategy and there's no guarantee it will work. However it looks pretty promising. I'll give the main tactics here. Your feedback is really appreciated (I found that my threads had few feedbacks, please give comments!)

There are two things I'm going to do.

First, I'll hire as many scientists as I can in each city (even let people starving), hoping that I can get KV-1 tech in July 1941 (that is: one turn per tech). Then I can produce KV-1's to defend my cities. The soviet had 90+ cities, could you believe it? If on the average there are 5 scientists per city, with library and university improvement, the total science will be
        90*5*6=2700 per turn!

Second, I'll use chain-transportation to ferry my KV-1's and AA batteries to the front. They can reach the front in one turn on the southern and northern fronts.

I'm hoping that I only lose 5 or 6 cities including Minsk and Odessa, maybe Riga (after I can do something).

A minor thing is to take care of the Fins. Musmansk has airbase so I can airlift troops there. Other cities can use good terrians next to them that should not be a problem.

Comment

In addition:

I don't want to change the Caucasus cities' citizens to scientists. They give more science when they work.

KV-1 and AA battery really makes a pair. If they are both fortified and vet, KV-1 will be selected when there is a ground attack, and AA battery will be selected to defend from air raids.

Comment

I did a big science rush on my first turn, about half of my cities were all scientists and with rush built refugees. You are right, the big refinery cities were better off with workers; even so I came up a little short on getting 1 per turn. I did get an advance in July, but I had gone for War Production, IIRC.
            Be the bid!

Comment

Just tested it. If I change all citizens to scientists, I got 3000+ sciences each turn. A tech is about 2700 and I have 1200 already there in June 1941. Definitely I can get KV1 tech in July. Then I set back science to chunk out KV1s and AA batteries. Need to rush-buy universities in Caucasus cities.

It looks like I can hold the line without much difficulty.

Comment

I can't remember why I went with War Production - I was thinking it was Leo's but now I don't remember... getting too old.

How fast can you get to Leo's? And what upgrades to a KV1?? Anyone?
                Be the bid!

Comment

T34-76 will upgrade to T34-85 in winter 1941 if you discovered advanced armor III. The slot of T34-76 is then used for later JS-2. If you don't discover the tech, then T34-76s will become JS2, but you don't get to build T34-85.

KV-1 is good in defense but slow. So I'll choose to build T34-85. It's just that the upgraded tanks are rockies. The upgrade is really a down grade. Laborors will be upgraded to labor brigades in 1943, but I probably will not wait that long.

In winter 1941 I build cities using the refugees then disband the cities. Gives me NONE labor brigades (works twice faster). That is my solution for having too many refugees eaten up my food reserve.

Comment

Captain Nemo: How about giving the Soviet a useless tech at the end of each session? This will force an upgrade and clear up the slots for new units. Of course it will be safer to leave a gap between one unit's obselete and another unit's appearence, as you already did.

Comment

I think an "event-given" tech does not trigger Leonardo's to run... but if it does it is a great idea.

I noticed that when "Labor Brigades" become available with a tech that is given by event in November 41, it doesn't trigger the "Engineer-New unit" window (which I customized to match Labor Brigades) But in the first version of RF, that tech was researched and it used to trigger the window... Somehow the program does not see technologies given by event the same way it sees those researched.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification - I was thinking that the King Richardsesque Wonder that comes with War Productivity was Leo's; FMK is right on - you already own it.

(that is what I get for posting from work without the game at hand)
                        Be the bid!

Comment

Sten,
                          If I'm not mistaken, in 1.4 the "Soviet Armament Industry" is Leo's. You will notice that it is allready there in Sverdlovsk at the start of the game.
                          There is no upgrade to KV1's, they will be upgraded themselves to JS2's when the time is right. But you must build the KV1's on your own.

------------------
                          I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!

Comment

Working...
                          X