Scenario Turn and .wav Playing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario Turn and .wav Playing Problem

Right, I'm trying to polish off my Star Wars:Rebellion scenario, and one of the problems I'm having is with the turns.

I want the game to start in 1 AD (or equivalent). The game goes in 1 year increments. I set the scen starting year to 0 (for the default), and this works fine. It makes my scenario turn 1 AR.

Right then. I want the game to play a .wav file the first turn of the scenario. I have the sound in the sounds file for the scenario, and that seems okay. In the events text file, I have put a command line telling the scenario to play the .wav file near startup. Neither of these works properly.

A) IF SCENLOADED then PLAYWAVFILE start.wav

B) IF TURN=1 then PLAYWAVFILE start.wav

If I place the .wav file as a combat noise, then it plays during combat, so I'm sure the .wav itself is correct. Can any of you suss out the mechanics of the game, and penetrate my appalling grammar, to find out WHAT'S WRONG???

------------------
    "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

1) The SCENARIOLOADED trigger is only supposed to be used in conjunction with DONTPLAYWONDERS (the action that stops wonder movies playing) anything else casues unpredictable results.

2) Although not documented, there are several problems with events on turn=1. I don't know why and I expect someone else to give a better explanation.

Comment

There are even problems getting the .wav to play on turns 2, 3, etc.

Is there some sort of thing where I actually have to state the real turn that the scen is in, rather than the relative turn?

So would I have to go digging to find out what on earth "1 AD" really is?

------------------
      "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Try this.

@IF
        TURN
        turn=1
        @THEN
        PLAYWAVEFILE
        start.wav
        @ENDIF
        "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
        --

Comment

Here are the egs of code from the events.txt that I have. They don't work properly.

@IF
          SCENARIOLOADED
          @THEN
          PLAYWAVEFILE
          Start.WAV
          @ENDIF

and

@IF
          TURN
          turn=1
          @THEN
          TEXT
          [blah blah blah...you really don't want to know]
          ENDTEXT
          PLAYWAVFILE
          start.wav
          @ENDIF

These don't work, and I'm sure it's something to do with the turn problem, not the wave file itself. (I set Lord Vader's attack sound to it once, and got an earful of John Williams whenever he attacked.)

------------------
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Does the text get displayed?
            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Good question.

The answer is no, it doesn't.

------------------
              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

In which case the event is not even firing, rather than a problem with the event.

In the Cheat menu, go to Set Game Year

WHAT IS THAT NUMBER?

Comment

The year is 101. Like a certain nice room we have all heard about.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner...

------------------
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

@IF
                    TURN
                    turn=-1
                    @THEN
                    TEXT
                    [blah blah blah...you really don't want to know]
                    ENDTEXT
                    PLAYWAVFILE
                    start.wav
                    @ENDIF

If it works please don't ask me to explain why.

Comment

Now this is interesting. This time using the turn as "-1", the text shows up properly. However, the music is still not firing correctly.

Any hints? Tips? Walkthroughs and level descriptions?

------------------
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

One thing I've noticed
                        PLAYWAVFILE should be PLAYWAVEFILE
                        However, that doesn't explain why the text doesn't work.
                        Perhaps there is something wrong with the event before, like it not having an @ENDIF.
                        "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
                        --

Comment

That worked a treat! Now all the music plays and the text pops up! Thanks a lot for your help, tips, and expertise(s?).

Final little nitpick question: does anybody else find that the very first text popup message in a given scenario will look a bit darker than all the others, as though the letters were written in BOLD font?

------------------
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

"TURN=-1"

I have found out that this makes the event take place every turn. Perhaps putting in a JUSTONCE ought to iron this little niggle out?

------------------
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I've noticed that bold text too.
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X