Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Case on 02-17-2001 06:28 PM
    Yeah, but it was opposed by a German 'parachute' army under General Student. In reality, most of the German 'paratroopers' had never seen a German cargo plane, much less jumped out of one.
    At the risk of revealing myself as a WW2 nerd, the MG-42 [the big machine gun] in the picture looks like a streamlined, assault varient, as carried by paratroops.
    mmm, the picture is a link from a site dealing with models. I wonder if that means anything? (I suspect not)

I hate to say this, Case, but you are a bit off. Market garden was an attempt to force a crossing of the Rhine river and get a foothold in Germany by taking a number of bridges simultaniously by airbourne assault(Market), and a groud drive by British 30 Corp(Garden). Student's 1 Parachute army was not in the target area, instead were two SS Panzer Divions, Hohenstafen, and Frundsburg, as well as a large number of improvised and Ad Hoc formations. British 1st airbourne was to take the bridge on the Rhine, at Arnhem. This failed, as the British could only secure one end of the bridge. The bridge over the Maas at Nijmegan was taken by the US 82 airbourne divsion, and the lower bridges and Eindhoven were to be the target of the US 101 Airbourne. They had mixed results, but that is another story. I'm not sure, but the MG in the picture looks like the MG34, with a bi-ped mounting, not the larger MG42, or the Airbourne MG(who name escapes me right now).

------------------
    All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Polaris, did you ever finish that secret project you talked to me about a long long while ago?
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Hold it - As a matter of fact, this picture only holds the clue that it's about WW2, and Polaris confirmed that. He did not say that it has something to do with the nazis at all.
        Also, it has to do with WW2, but is it really WW2?
        Keep in mind - it could just as well be the Italian invasion of Abessinia or the Japanese expansion of Mandchuko.
        I am very sure that it is not about any WW2 European scenario involving the Germans directly.

------------------
        Follow the masses!
        30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.
        -George W. Bush

Shahan Shah Eran ud Aneran

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
        Follow the masses!

Comment

I like these guys Polaris, they're funny

Comment

DarthVeda, I know.

None of you will guess it with one clue. Just wait for more.

BTW, DarthVeda is my co-producer for this project. While I'm making the scenario directly and the ideas and what not, DV will be helping with some additional graphics and ideas.
            Please Visit:
            http://aow.apolyton.net

And contribute if you can!

Comment

quote:

I like these guys Polaris, they're funny

At least somebody acknowledges
              Lemme take some more guesses:
              [*] Roosevelts electoral campaign in the US[*] Gandhi's Satyagraha[*] Muhammad Reza Pahlavi's raise to power

(OK, the last two ones were not meant seriously)
              Follow the masses!

Comment

Working...
              X