No announcement yet.

Help! AI won't build ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anacondas, to be more precise but I have also run into the same problem in the past. Early drafts for Of Celts and Iberians considered "huge" naval battles between Romans and Carthaginians. The map included also the Italian peninsula, North Africa, Corsica Sardinia and Sicily. I had to drop that idea given my impossibility to get the Romans and Carthaginians to build ships.

I had noticed from regular games that AI civs tend to build tons of ships when they are close to or have reached nuclear power. I played in that direction, gave all techs, took away one or several at a time.... nothing. Thus I do not believe the problem has anything to do with the number of techs or degree of development. I also doubt that the ratio land square/sea square has anything to do with this. If you play in a map with more than 70% water, the AI still builds tons of ships.

After many other failed attempts (unit slots, changes in unit stats, adding or removing coastal cities), I concluded that it all depended on whether the AI had room to "peacefully" colonize other lands or not. I did not test this thoroughly for different settings but it seemed to be true for Celts and Iberians.

In my very old Time of Thunder, the AI English built boats in a very neat way. I haven't played that scen for a long time but I recall that it was very hard to reach the coasts of England by boat with the Spanish. All the ships were consistently and ruthlessly massacred by the English. The English even dared to attack coastal cities in Spain. Pretty good from the historical point of view uh? The thing is that perhaps Thunder holds the clue to definitely solve the problem. I recall that English ships were faster than anyone else's, so maybe the issue of naval superiority (true naval superiority) is another factor.

Comment

The riflemen were in the extra slots, since they were different versions of the same unit for each tribe. I do not use the musketeer or knight slot ever for AI buildable units. Anyway, after changing the riflemen back to the old values and adding back in the negotiation events, the AI continues to build ships.

I conclude that my city sizes must have been too small. Previously there were a lot of size 3 cities, and the largest city was 8. The largest is now 12 and the size 3 cities were made into size 4, 5, and 6.

After reading JB's comments, I not even sure that the population theory is correct. It might be something else altogether.

------------------
      "There is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp."
      "Cease fire! Please! Cease fire. What a dreadful waste of ammunition!" -- General Horatio Herbert Kitchener
      --

Comment

What are the relationships between the combat factors of the naval units, and their cost? How do they relate to those of the ground units that the AI can also build? Perhaps if the naval units are stronger, or if the strength to cost ratio is better than equivilent land units, the AI may build them.
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
        X