The River War released !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The River War released !!

The River War has finally been released !!!

Download it at http://csc.apolyton.net

or, to view the complete readme/preview page, go here
    http://www.geocities.com/ahofelt

Downloading...

Comment

Superb! I just finished a game, and enjoyed it immensely. The graphics are great, especially the terrain. The rise and fall of the Nile adds a fascinating strategic hurdle, too.

I have a suggestion. Why not hide the shields on the triggers, as you've done with the Mahdist leaders? It's much more fun to just bump into them without knowing they're there. And a question. What does the event "Mahdists attempt Khartoum" mean? I see it brings Mahdist reinforcements at Omdurman, but what does it represent?

An intellegently designed scenario. Nice job, Allard.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

It doesn`t appear to work with my copy of MGE. The info in the readme wasn`t particularly clear on this matter; is it supposed to work with MGE or not? If it isn`t, then fair enough.

Comment

Cool, you used my Barracks graphic.

------------------
          St. Leo
          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Little question...why does everything have a hp/fp of 1/1 except engineers?
            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

OK, I want to know how Xin Yu got to El Fasher! I don't believe it!
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

quote:

It doesn`t appear to work with my copy of MGE. The info in the readme wasn`t particularly clear on this matter; is it supposed to work with MGE or not? If it isn`t, then fair enough.

As with all FW games played under MGE, delete the file Labels.txt. Then it should work. Still, MGE will not use the 3x objective cities, and therefore the scoring system will not work well.

quote:

Why not hide the shields on the triggers, as you've done with the Mahdist leaders? It's much more fun to just bump into them without knowing they're there. And a question. What does the event "Mahdists attempt Khartoum" mean? I see it brings Mahdist reinforcements at Omdurman, but what does it represent?

Hmm, that's for v1.1 then That's the problem if you set yourself deadlines...

quote:

Little question...why does everything have a hp/fp of 1/1 except engineers

I believe that I gave some artillery pieces higher hp/fp. And why would most other units need other hp/fp's? I like it the way it is, no enemy unit should pose a threat to your superior army, only the speed at which you conquer is the difficult factor.

quote:

OK, I want to know how Xin Yu got to El Fasher! I don't believe it

I believe that that was the only city he did not capture on time. Still, once you know where it is, you could take them all. It's above all a question of using your railroads and flottilla correctly.

BTW. HAPPY ST. NICOLAS NIGHT !!!

Comment

Sorry, it still doesn`t work.

BTW, what did Sinter Klaas get you then?

Comment

I completely agree with Tecumseh, an excellent new scenario! So good in fact, that I stayed up until 4:30 AM playing it, and the wife is barely speaking to me. That's always a good indicator that the designer "got it right"!

The new single file ".exe" install is very slick! The units, terrain, cities, icons, & graphics all go together perfectly, which is my personal criteria for determing whether a scenario can ever be "A" quality. Nemo does it consistently, and Allard has matched him here. Of course an "A" scenario also has to be FUN, have good events, and feature at least one "new" thing.....and "River War" does all of the above.

Plus you can play it through in a single sitting, and that's always nice! I highly recommend "River War" to everyone.
                    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Having just raved about your scenario Allard, please add sounds to the next version! Some people don't care for them, but I think they really add atmosphere.
                      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Doesn't work with my MPG, even after taking out the labels file. Does work with my FW though.
                        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Thank you for the very kind words, Kull.
                          And sounds, yes, I do have sounds for the scenario, I simply didn't upload them.

I might make a separate MGE version later, to satisfy the people for who it does not work. Which I do not understand, by the way, as it should work. It works for me, anyway, under MGE.

Comment

The only problem with your .exe install program is that those of us who use the Mac version can't play the scenario. Any chance you could post a plain old zipped version?
                            ----------------------------------------
                            EchoPapa's scenarios are available at the ACS Mac Site
                            and
                            Visit the Institute for Naming Children Humanely at inch.stormpages.com

Comment

Briliant Allard, I am so glad that my college is cut off by floods so I have more time to play river war
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X