Rivers! grrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers! grrr

I have lots of rivers on my map because they can act as a serious hinderance to the Soviet advance. But the that you can travel over them like roads is no good. These tanks and and artillery can't just take the steamboat up the Elbe. Does anyone know how I can neutralize this effect?

One theory I have is that since I can spare 4 terrains, I could make them the four most used river squares, two diagnols and the vertical connecting ones.
    Make them terrains and only use rivers for seemlessly connecting some of them. What do you think of this?
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Eternal (edited July 24, 2000).]</font>

Well, in Civ 1, rivers were a terrain type. Remember that only forests, hills and mountains change appearance with the addition of the same type of terrain adjacent to them. If you don't use one of these slots, you'll end up with little oxbow lakes.
    *grumbles about work*

Comment

How about using ocean for the rivers, and changing two terrains to riverbank and bridge. The riverbank could have some defensive bonus, and you can put normal rivers through it as well. The river could be crossed at strategic points by bridges, with a very high defensive bonus. This could simulate the importance of the various crossings. You could throw up bridges with events files and research.
      "The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." - P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Set road paradigm to 1?

------------------
        St. Leo
        http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
        http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

That's what I decided to do, St Leo.

The map isn't big enough that I could afford to make rivers ocean. I am going to make a river terrain and lay it at important rivers. This will have a move cost so that units entering it have to stop, and defense will be at 50%. As I recall The Soviets had nine large engineer bridging units ready to bypass rivers, so you'll be able to build roads accross.

Comment

Working...
          X