Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible?

The timeline in Civ2. Could it be altered? I was searching the files of civ2 lloking for the dates 4000 BC 3050BC? Does anyone know where these are? I wish to change the dates.
    Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Civfan, you can set this in the editors menu by choosing Scenario Parameters. You can then edit the starting year, turn increment (which, if set to negative numbers, works as months), and other handy stuff.

Comment

Oh yeah, and you can find "BC" and "AD" in the labels.txt file. Some clever things to do with these can be found in, for example, the Dinosaurs scenario included with the game.

Comment

Thanks Blackclove. The thing I'm doing with my scenario is allowing abit of time to go by. Sort of like how the game is set up. Starts off at 4000 BC -3550BC, Incredments of 50 years - 25 years up to 1 year. I wish to change those numbers. Say 4000 BC renamed 160 A.D. and moves to June of 160 AD. then august 160, then 161 ad, 162 ad. The scenario
        parameters wont allow that. It could be changed by the time frame will move by 1 month 3 months wichever the increments you set it at. But the year won't change and you can't change that later in game.
        If i could fine the list of numbers it goes by and change them.
        Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

My guess is that this is hardcoded. To change it, you could get one of the hex editors and search for the relevant numbers. Then, alter them in the game file.

It's not *too* hard to write a utility that patches .exe files if you know the exact location of the thing you want to change. I did it long ago for Unlimited Adventures.

Comment

Is there a limit to the number of turns you can have in a scenario?
            Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

The ANZAC, in the Scenario Parameters you can give a limit to how many turns you want in a scenario. 10-50-500 its your choice.
              Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

The pasage of time (years per turn) is hard coded in civ2 and it depends on the level of play (King, Diety, ect.) that you are using.

Check out Winkler's Time Warp for a full description.

Comment

Thanks. It helped.
                  Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Thanks William. Guess I'll take a look at a saved file and possible find the code using a hexeditor. Doubt it though but who knows.

Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

Civfan, you can't change the code for the number of years that pass in the save game file because that code is in the CIV2.EXE file (which I do not recomend hex editing).

You can however hex edit the level of difficulty (deity, ect.) in the save game file. I have the hex address in my notes somewhere, what version are you using?

Comment

oh well, hexediting is out of the question. The game is set at Deity level. Thanks William. Also using 2.78 and TOT format for the scenario later on.
                        Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

The limit of turns in Civ2 is 32767

Comment

Working...
                          X