B & W Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B & W Reviews

Daily Radar says Black and White proved to be just as good as advetised. I had my doubts, but I think I'll get it after all.

http://www.dailyradar.com/reviews/game_review_1341.html

In order to save space on the Other Games Forum (not turn it into a Black and White forum, which I bet we're going to have soon), you might want to post other reviews on it just put them in this thread.

I have a review .

BUY IT! I played for 23 hours today (don't want to play more because I have to go somewhere and I'll forget to go ), and it just looks, feels awesome!

No lie, my friends, no lie!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

23 HOURS!? Are you for real? My God, Imran, you sure are a nutty gamer. But damnit, you do the community proud. Any crashes or bugs so far? Is the AI really anything special?
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

what are the req's and what do you have imran?

I have a voodoo3 3000. Is that enough. I have a p3 800 and 256 megs of ram. It took this just to run diablo2 good.

this looks amazing. but I'm not sure I'm in to this type of game. but it looks so amazing I have to get it. I don't like RTS games. How are the time restrictions Imran?

One thing I like though is you seem to be only controlling one unit not lots of small units (the most trouble I have in RTS). but you also have to do tasks in the town at the same time.

Is the pacing decent for a novice player? This is something the reviews never tell you. I'm not the fastest thinker (why I play TBS) nor am I the fastest clicker.

but the ai looks incredible. I pretty much have to buy it. But I sure hope I'm able to do ok in the game. I don't play games I suck at (syndicate wars being one example- that game was freakin' hard). He made syndicate and dungeon keeper. I wasn't very good at dungeon keeper2 either . I'm just too slow.

Comment

Where's it cheapest at? I saw it for $39.99 at Amazon.com.

Comment

Dissident: there have been numerous reports of serious problems with the Voodoo chip. You should check out the Lionhead Boards, or at least make sure you can return the game for a refund before buying.

Lionhead is wall to wall with bug reports, so it looks like Imran is lucky.

Lionhead: http://www.lionhead.co.uk/unshocked/index.html

Bkeela.
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Gamespot gives B&W a 9.3! Does it deserve it? From what I've seen so far, I'd have to say, YES!

John-SJ

Comment

quote:

23 HOURS!? Are you for real?

Oops, typo, and I haven't been around to correct it . 13 HOURS .

I was just playing around at first, now I'm in a serious game, in Board 2 (because the power went out yesterday and I was saddened I couldn't play my game ).

quote:

Any crashes or bugs so far? Is the AI really anything special?

crashes? No... there have been some slowdowns however, but nothing serious. The AI, so far looks real good.

quote:

I have a voodoo3 3000. Is that enough. I have a p3 800 and 256 megs of ram. It took this just to run diablo2 good.

WITHOUT A DOUBT you'll be fine . I have a P2 350, 244 mg RAM and a Voodoo3 2000, and I run 800*600/Low, and it is fine and looks utterly beautiful.

quote:

I don't like RTS games. How are the time restrictions Imran?

I don't either, but this isn't like any RTS you've played. The time restrictions I haven't found so bad.

quote:

Is the pacing decent for a novice player? This is something the reviews never tell you. I'm not the fastest thinker (why I play TBS) nor am I the fastest clicker.

Yes... take this from someone who can't stand other RTSs.

quote:

Lionhead is wall to wall with bug reports, so it looks like Imran is lucky.

Hmmm, I guess I am. I always wondered what is that . Maybe I should thank Gateway or something?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Great game, and a hint. When your beasty goes Anorexiac on you, rub his tummy and he'll eat anything edible. (so he can't eat excrements )
                  Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Comment

Brilliant game - I've now lost 3 days to it. Completed lands one and two, and a skirmish. Unfortunately my net connection is too unreliable (and expensive) atm to allow online play, but that'll change in a couple of weeks.

My ape is learning spells left right and centre, the only problem with him is that he won't eat grain at all - animals or fish only. This is a right bummer and makes him nigh on useless any distance from home, as he dies before he can do anything and is teleported back to the temple. He's now 13, and grew 17% in the skirmish, so he's getting quite big.

Tip - for converting enemy villages, nothing seems to work quite so well as a quick Winged Flock.

I can't seem to find my own personal alignment - my alignment change yes, but not my alignment. My creature is 0.25, described in the creature cave as upright and true! He has had a lot of practice as Water from putting himself out after fireball attacks

With my system of 800Mhz, 256Mb, 32 Mb Geforce 2 the game runs well and usually smoothly on high detail. My only niggle is that the autosave seems to be taking much longer than it used to. Incidentally, does anyone elses lanscape sort of oscillate as you move up to and away from it?

The table of miracles in the manual - how do you get the powered up miracles? Do they just come with the requisite prayer power or what? I think it needs the appropriate Wonder, but there's a conflict between that table and the list of wonders
                    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Built my first wonder today... the norse Wonder.... and dam it improves things alot.... time to find some more wood to build others....

This is one game that I can't live without... at the moment... hours and hours of fun, too bad I'm only on a PII 333 with 256 ram... I bet it wouldn't slowdown as much if I had a better system... but sofar that's the only problem I've had as I'm starting world 3.... save my creature

Comment

I'm running it on a 500MHz with 128 RAM and a TNT2... It gets pretty choppy sometimes... especially when I have the actions and stats of the villagers showing... but I kind of like to see those...

Now, on the subject of World 3, How do you go about converting the village to bring down the third spike? It's too far away to do much, and it takes 1500 belief to convert! All I can think of doing is taking that hobo from the campfire and throwing him over there, enabling me to cast off a few miracles because when you're messing around with him you can act outside your influence shortly, but I'd have to do that about 40 times...
                        [This message has been edited by Eternal (edited April 13, 2001).]

Comment

Build the Indian village as close to that village as possible, maybe building the Indian wonder as a helping hand (side effect of making all your villagers move super-quick). From there you should be able to do a few things.

Try winged-flocking them - up to 150 belief a go.
                          Create an artifact and bung that in - good for about 40 or 50 belief.
                          Missionaries provide a slow trickle.
                          Healing always wins a few hearts as well.

And just in case your blind, there's a very handy wood dispenser just by the waterfal. The winged flock miracle you get as reward for another 9-tree puzzle, near the large forest next to your first village IIRC.
                          The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                          Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                          All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                          "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

I just picked up the new CGW, and they have a review.

haven't really looked at it, but they gave it 5 stars, rave about it the whole way.

I'll read it and get back...
                            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Hmm... this looks interesting(found from the user reviews at Daily Radar)...

quote:

One interesting easter egg involving sound is that if your name is one of a list that Black and White recognises (mainly common first names) then it'll very occasionally, and usually late at
                              night, say it in a whisper.

Ouch... Think of it, it's late night, you've been busy micromanaging stuff for hours, and listening to the "DEEATH" whisper. And then you hear your own name being whispered.

Well, knowing that Lionhead probably doesn't know the name "Ari", I think I'll proceed and buy this game... someday. When it's cheap .
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                              X