Apolyton Chess Club : a new challenger please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Chess Club : a new challenger please

After my victory against Ken, I am waiting for a new challenger. The first new one (I mean one who hasn’t played for the championship yet) to step up will be chosen. If after a week, no new challenger has defied me, I will accept the defy of an old one in chronological order (Kcbob, Carolus, Smash, Ken). The deadline is Saturday the 27th at 1am American East-Coast Time (7am Central European Time). If neither a new, nor an old challenger has defied me by that time, I will take the first one to come up later. I hope it is clear enough.

------------------
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

He are the rules, proposed and accepted in recent games.
    a1)Every game played on the Apolyton Chess Club entitles the winner to be crowned King/Queen of the World Civchess Federation (WCF).
    a2) if there is a draw, the champion retains his title.
    b1) The King/Queen immediately defends his/her title against a new challenger.
    b2) the challenger chooses the side he wants to play with.
    c1) The new challenger is the first new Apolytiner to step up.
    c2) If there's no new challenger, an old one can step up again.
    d1) Every moves of the game are played on the Apolyton "Other Games" forum.
    d2) There is no time limit, but the players try to play at least a move a day. If a player can’t play for a period of time he should warn his opponent. Not playing a move for a week without warning forfeits the game. Delaying repeatedly the game may bring the same result.
    d3) Everybody is free to comment on the game, but giving moves to one of the player can result in being declared ineligible for the WCF title.

Comment

uh oh.I see we have another Kasparov on our hands.A champion that is going to rewrite the rule book.What we need is a commissioner.I set a list as no leadership had been shown on that subject.I decided to grab the bull by the horns and make a decision.Now I see that decision has been cast aside by a brash,cocky new champion.An act of defiance against the old guard.

btw
      JUST KIDDING
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 01-16-2001 07:12 PM
        uh oh.I see we have another Kasparov on our hands.A champion that is going to rewrite the rule book.What we need is a commissioner.I set a list as no leadership had been shown on that subject.I decided to grab the bull by the horns and make a decision.Now I see that decision has been cast aside by a brash,cocky new champion.An act of defiance against the old guard.

Smash, do you formally challenge me ?
        If no new one and no other old one steps up.
        Play shall begin saturday the 27th.

------------------

Comment

Of course I formally challenge you but kcbob or Carolus Rex may be champion before I'm up
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Indeed, we do have a new Beast from Baku!

How about trying to send the contender a private message? IMHO 10 days is too long, if he's interested in a game he should be lurking this thread...

Carolus

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 01-18-2001 01:32 PM
              Indeed, we do have a new Beast from Baku!

Please don't call me that way ! I really don't appreciate Kasparov. We have nothing in common. He plays much better chess than I do and with a different style. As for the behavior, I hope than I am better than him. I saw him once and that was quite painful to see how you could play chess so well and be so stupid.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 01-18-2001 01:32 PM
                How about trying to send the contender a private message? IMHO 10 days is too long, if he's interested in a game he should be lurking this thread...
                Carolus

What do you mean by sending messages to the contender ?
                I am the world champion (boost to my ego !) and the challengers have to defy me. It sounded logical to me to see if someone new would like to join. But if you're a civilization or other computer games addicted player and you've got some sense of reason, you would think twice about starting a postal game. It is quite an ordeal !
                So far no new challenger has stepped up. So Carolus you might well be next, and then Smash against the winner of that one. I don't know about Kcbob ...

Maybe that 12 days was too much, but Kasparov waited 5 years and broke some promises to Shirov and Anand along the way ...
                You cannot expect everybody to jump in right on time. If we consider this, Carolus, then Smash would've beaten you and taken "your" turn.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 01-19-2001 04:58 AM
                  What do you mean by sending messages to the contender?

I mean send the guy a private message and tell him the game with Ken is over. Next time he logs on Apolyton (or post something) he'll see he has a new message and thus know about the end of the game.

quote:

But if you're a civilization or other computer games addicted player and you've got some sense of reason, you would think twice about starting a postal game. It is quite an ordeal!

He or she clearly expressed interested in playing and also knew about posting the moves here. I don't see why that should be a problem? Just get the guy's attention and see if he/she wants to start a game.

quote:

So far no new challenger has stepped up. So Carolus you might well be next, and then Smash against the winner of that one. I don't know about Kcbob...

The reason noone has stepped up is that we have a list. The first name on that list is absent. It is in everyone's interest to get the attention of that player so we can continue down the list.

Smash will not take my place in the line, he knows about the list and has the courtesy to wait for his turn. So will I and Kcbob. So please, no more "Are you challenging me, X?". That's the whole point of this and we have to organise it somehow, right? As I recall you were the one to start making rules. How about sticking to them?

Carolus

Comment

Carolus,
                    Sorry if got misunderstood or seemed to act wrongly according to my own rules.
                    The question is this one : is this a closed club, or an open one ? Do we want more people to join or not ?
                    I never meant to betray Kcbob, Smash or you.
                    I was just trying to apply my c1 and c2 rules.
                    I hope I have not offended you in any way.

But I'm not sure I have to ask Kcbob if he wants to play. As you said, someone really intersted would jump in.

By "ordeal" I meant spending hours over a chessboard when you could be playing civ, or working.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 01-19-2001 08:04 AM
                      The question is this one: is this a closed club, or an open one? Do we want more people to join or not?

I want it to be open, of course. All newcomers are welcome, I thought they were automatically added to the list? Probably my misunderstanding.

quote:

I hope I have not offended you in any way.

No offense taken, I just thought we had everything figured out? There is a list with challengers, why not follow it? The reason I posted in the first place is that I find 10 or 12 days too long to wait for the next guy on the list to show up. But if everyone else thinks that is an appropriate amount of time, then I go with the flow.

Carolus

Comment

Well open yes,but to a point.I envisioned new players coming in steadily and former challengers/champions never getting a shot again.Thats probably not realistic but...possible.We don't want to have a candidates cycle.I propose we stick with the list and new players wait their turn.Challengers could make their own agreements if one wished to pass at the moment.

That and the fact,we are chomping at the bit for a piece of the champion

Julius,you do seem to be one of our more learned and skilled players.When you are #1,everybody is out to get you

Comment

I don't wish to step on anybody's toes here but might I suggest some form of tournament or somesuch? Different rounds, etc, semi-finals/finals. That way there would be more than one game running at once and there wouldn't be a large number of players with nothing to do.

This would probably require vacating the title beforehand however ( )

Comment

A tournament would be very complicated. It means many games and once it has started no new player can be included. I have another proposition.
                            A list of “old” challengers is well established : Kcbob, Carolus, Smash and Ken (although Kcbob hasn’t been very present here recently, finally I’m going to mail him). A “new” challenger would have to prove his worth before entering the championship by beating an old one. For example (counting out Kcbob), Carolus plays against me while Ravagon defies Smash. If Carolus beats me, he is the champion but then has to accept the challenge of the winner of Smash-Ravagon. If somebody new steps up, he then has to defy Ken. There would always be 2 games going on : the “world championship” and the candidates final. Does it seem acceptable, both preserving the right of the ancients and the chances of the newer ones ? And as before, draws would favor the old ones, but the new ones could chose the color of the pieces. What do you all think ?

------------------

Comment

Just a suggestion...
                              In any case, much as I would enjoy being thrashed by either Carolus or Smash I have to decline as at present I have almost no time whatsoever to even think about taking up chess again. Making a single move every few days wouldn't really be fair to any competitors.
                              Maybe when my schedule clears up a little...

In any case
                              LONG LIVE THE APOLYTON CHESS TOURNAMENT

Comment

Working...
                              X