Imperialism II: I need your verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pythagoras:
    "Why dont I just ask you to write a short review for the "civer" type audience?"

You could ask that, but I would have to decline. It's been way too long since I played the game, so basically, all I can tell you is, "I didn't care for the game". Sorry.

John-SJ
    edit: spelling

[This message has been edited by John-SJ (edited October 09, 2000).]

Comment

Anywayz-so how would you compare the game to colonization? More/less complex? More/less rules?

I haven't played Colonization.

More/less micromanagement?

I would guess less.

If I was interested in the time period would I like the game?

Yeah.

If I was interested in economics would I like the game?

Try digging up a copy of Imperialism I if that's what you are looking for.

Why dont I just ask you to write a short review for the "civer" type audience?

Your objective is to annex half the Old World (Europe or Randomized) but that is hard to accomplish without establishing a substantial presence in the New World (Randomized). It has tactical land combat (optional), a good trade system, separate movement systems for armies and civilians, etc. Micromanagement is minimal and will remain so until you accumulate two dozen or so civilians in the end game. I highly recommend it to any strategy fan.

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I think Colonization is a much slower game.

To me, the most exciting part of Imperialism II is the fact that you constantly have to make choices on how to use your slim resources. In Colonization, the choices are much more mechanical.

The thing I didn't like about Colonization was the strong defensive capibility of the units. This discourages battles. Imperialism II is much more bloody.
        [This message has been edited by Zkribbler (edited October 20, 2000).]

Comment

Well in defense of Colonization, I think it is much more oriented to modeling and allowing the gamer to emmerse himself in a more economic, more american-centric perspective of the colonial period. From what you guys are explaining they seem different, and I expected them to be similar, but Imperialism II seems to have a more Europe-centric POV, which is cool and all. I need to find time to play the demo a little more.

Pyth
          "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

*yawn*, Let's just say I wasn't a fan . I probably would have like Imperialism I better though, however.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Pythagoras's theorum is correct.

Comment

Where can i download the demo?

Comment

Working...
                X