Heroes of Might and Magic III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of Might and Magic III

Normally I don't play fantasy/sci-fi games. I usually play TBS war/strategy/historical games.

However, I just recently bought Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death. It is an amazing game. I never thought I would enjoy this game as much as I do. I love the music, city and unit graphics, and the tactical battles. When those units start flying across the battlefield, and when magic spells are being cast - you wouldn't think this was a turn-based game at all.

It's sort of a simplified fantasy civ game with battles being played out in a chess- like battlefield. The AI is certainly giving me a run for my money. I just pulled an all-nighter - and I can't remember the last time that happened to me.

Does anyone else play this game? I just can't seem to get enough of it - oh, boy - is there another all-nighter coming soon?

------------------
    Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
    That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

*Waves hands frantically in the air*

I do! I do!

Don't try the Shadow of Death campaigns before the Restoration of Erathia ones, they're way hard (I almost beat the first mission of the Gelu one, but Gelu got killed)

I find my favourite castle to be the Castle and the Tower.

I've made a scenario. Do you want to try it?
    *grumbles about work*

Comment

I randomly play hotseat games with my friends- it's great fun on weekend evenings.
      Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

I randomly double post by mistake
        [This message has been edited by Patriqvium (edited August 08, 2000).]

Comment

It takes forever. Randomly, of course. Now with my armies of Ghost Drag- Wait, that must have been a hallucination of playing HoMM3

Edit: Spelling Mistake. Apolyton really need a spell checker. Otherwise how would I find all of my spelling mis-steaks?
          [This message has been edited by Shadowstrike (edited August 08, 2000).]
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Shadowstrike:

Yeah, I like the Castle as well - I've only been playing for a week now - I'm just sticking to scenarios until I get a feel for the game.

Now I know why people feel this way about this game - very well done - no RTS game ever got me this involved before - who said TBS games are dead? Hah! This is one heck of a game - I am so glad I bought it now - it's been quite a while since I felt this level of addiction in a game before (Hmmm... some CivII games certainly come to mind - and Red Front v1.4 sure kept me going for a while).

There are dozens of websites and hundreds of new scenarios to download - looks like I'm going to have my hands full...

I think I'll hold off on the scenario for the time being until I get to know my way around the game a bit better. Thanks for offering it to me - maybe later - if that's OK

------------------

Comment

Btw, my personal favorites are the Rampart and the Conflux (in the Armageddon's Blade addon disc).

Comment

Castle is my favorite.

BTW, I just went by the Astral Wizard site at www.astralwizard.com today and found it has been totally changed, for the worse IMO. For example, they used to have a TON of maps, now they have none. Does anyone know of other good map sites for HOMM 3?

John-SJ

Comment

Here is a page full of links to many excellent sites. You'll find hundreds of new maps as well as strategy information:

http://androb.tripod.com/ring/homm.html

As far as Astral Wizard goes, all the maps are still there but they are difficult to get to. Try this:

1) At the title page select "Heroes III" at the top

2) Select: "Maps" at the top

3) You are now at "The Cartographer" page. You will see a variety of boxs and empty slots. Leave the first two boxes blank.

Then for:

Difficulty: select "any"

Size: select "any"

Rating: select "6" (you at least want GOOD maps )

Release: select the version you have from the pull-down menu

Date: select Jan 01 1999

Then press "search"

You will now have dozens of maps that you can download. They will all be rated with links to commentaries on the maps.

Enjoy

------------------

Comment

Checking through the sites on the links page posted above is definitely worth the journey. There are many interesting and innovative sites out there...
                    [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited August 11, 2000).]

Comment

Otherwise how would I find all of my spelling mis-steaks?

It seems that there is also a need for a grammar checker.

------------------
                      St. Leo
                      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

In the music category:

1) Rampart - most soothing music. I could listen to that music all day.

2) Inferno - most dramatic music. It really gives you a feel like you are in the "Inferno".

BTW, I am still being surprised by the AI and some of the units that it uses to to do battle with me. I still find myself saying: "What is that unit, and what the heck is it doing now?" And: "What is that spell and how do you get it?" The AI, even on some of the lower difficulty settings still kicks my butt. I love it!

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 08-14-2000 12:32 AM
                          Otherwise how would I find all of my spelling mis-steaks?

It seems that there is also a need for a grammar checker.

An interesting poem about the syndrom can be found at http://www.uio.no/~haahaa/spelling.htm

Oh, and I love HOMMIII

------------------
                          -bondetamp
                          but you may call me sir.
                          -bondetamp
                          The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                          -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                          X