SMACABRD's 98% rating in PC Gamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACABRD's 98% rating in PC Gamer

When I first heard that PC Gamer had been bribed into adding on a 10% rating, I didn't believe it, but when I saw the 98% rating I was shellshocked! I couldn't believe it! They must have been blinded from the poor multiplay, bad graphics, and dull stuff! I think it should have gotten a 75%, all in all avery average, average game.
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Well, that's kind of extreme there. I don't think that SMAC is only average, I think it deserves a rating in the 90's but it probably should not have gotten a 98. Although it is great, I don't think it deserved to be rated higher than Civ2 just on the basis that SMAC was not nearly as original in its concepts as the original Civ and Civ2. I think SMAC deseved between a 90 and a 94.

Comment

I will give it a 91%. I might have given it a 99% if they kept 2D sprites for units as then the engine would have been perfect for scenarios. The map editor bundled with the game is the best ever(it's only missing a toolbar) and the text files are much more extensive than in CivII.:-)
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

My ratings for a couple of games:

Civ2: 98%
        Baldur's Gate: 96%
        SMAC: 95% (Excellent)
        Diablo: 87%
        SC3000: 80% (Good)
        C&C: RA: 70% (Average)

Imran Siddiqui
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Me, I would give Diablo a. . . 94%
          Can't wait for Diablo 2!
          Alright so I'm a little off topic here, sorry
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

I'm with you, monolith. Diablo was big-time fun and D2 looks great so far. Lets just hope the cheaters don't take over b.net like they did with the original.

Comment

To give SMAC a 98% rating, higher than virtually every other game ??? oh please !!!!
              SMAC was NOT new in concept
              ( Civilization), was NOT new in "Outer Space" exploration.. (Master of Orion, Ascendency etc.) The graphics are average (thats being generous)and Unit movement is very cumbersome.
              Its a good game that has been ridiculousily over-rated .
              For me,that PCGamer reviewer has lost all credibility for future reviews..

Comment

Take a look at my strat-games ratings:
                AoEmpires: 88%
                SMAC: 90%
                Diablo: 72%
                Starcraft: 81%
                SC3000: 85%
                SimFarm: 2%
                Civ2: 100% is not enough
                "I'm really an american right-winger, i love the army and hate a forigners, communists, anarchists and ******s. I also belive in god and the american constitution."
                -Kropotkin
                I invented the question mark.
                -Imran Siddiqui
                TNapoleon
                Former Resident SidGamer
                Current Pandemonio.ORG Webmaster
                FOREIGN ADVISER - People's Republic of Off-Topic (PROT)

Comment

If I had to rate certain games :

CIV2 = 97%
                  Diablo = 95%
                  HeroesII = 92%
                  Starcraft= 90%
                  CTP = 88% (if right patch, higher)
                  SMAC = 85%
                  SC3000 = 82%

Comment

Well, heres my game reviews

Civ2 = 99%
                    Diablo = 90%
                    TA (Total Annihilation) = 95%
                    Starcraft = 91%
                    SMAC = 86%
                    Half-Life = 96%
                    SC3K = 83%
                    C&C2 = well, gee, if they would release the thing maybe I could review it

Haven't play CTP yet, looking forward to it, but I'm a little worried with the mixed reviews its been getting. I sure hope it lives up to it though, SMAC was seriously overrated, it is Civ2.5, with a story in the back. I also wish WW would have waited awhile to start the hype machine on C&C2, they should have been able to see a 6-8 month delay coming, unless they overlooked something seriously wrong with the thing.

My 2 cents...

Comment

Pythagoras, go play more games. You'll find there are quite a bit of negatives about SMAC.

Comment

As time goes by, SMAC becomes better and better - I cant think of anything wrong with it, I'd give it a 100%.
                        "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Pythagoras, I agree. Playing it more and more, I find newer nuances of the game. Maybe not a 100% from me, but 99%!

Imran Siddiqui
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Maybe we should rate games on pennies per hour of game play. Civ II wins at about a nickle... Nothing else can even come close.
                            I can't decide between CTP and SMAC. if CTP gets a good patch i think it would come up the better.
                            "Any technology, sufficiently advanced,
                            is indistinguishable from magic"
                            -Arthur C. Clark

Comment

Working...
                            X