More Culture Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Culture Please

I have noticed this since the first time I looked at the tech-tree poster when I bought the game several weeks ago, but I never commented on this until now.

Has anyone else been bothered by the lack of Cultural Advancement advances? I mean, Activision staff only put in five Cultural Advancement advances for the entire history of the game!

What about the other crucial Cultural Advancement advances that should been included? Such as:
    Cultural Art (ancient art of Greece/Babylon/other),
    Monotheism,
    Classical Translation (preservation of ancient knowledge by Middle Ages Arabian civilizations),
    Humanism,
    Literature,
    Religious Reformation,
    Romanticism (19th century),
    Modern Philosophy (Descartes, Voltaire, Hume),

and others as well.

So now, I am increasing Cultural Advancement advances from the puny number of five to 15 Cultural Advancement advances. How could Activision staff have been so grossly negligent with culture itself?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

A large part of it is probably a leftover of the old Civ games (though Civ2 did have monotheism). But I don't think this is a problem. The "culture" card is truly a complex and possibly divisive issue. I mean, how can you directly trace how much influence Hume truly had on humanity as a whole? And speaking of culture, what about non-Western (the ones you mentioned were mostly Western) such as calligraphy, shintoism, or what not. There are thousands of cultures out there...so who decides on who gets short-changed?
    No Information Provided

Comment

Veracitas - you're right about that. I think I could try to balance European with Indian (India) and Asia.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen more culture in a tub of yoghurt *hehe*

------------------
        It's better to close your mouth and let everyone 'think' you're stupid, than open it and let everyone 'know' you are.
        www.ezone.com - Webmaster & Pagebuilder Community
        Free banner advertising & URL forwarding!
        Community - Chat - Forum

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MrLeN on 01-07-2001 01:56 AM
          Yeah, I've seen more culture in a tub of yoghurt *hehe*

Yeah, and more depth and less bugs . But I must agree the technology tree is a bit disappointing. Not at all comprehensive, or much bigger than its predecessor. There are more things I don't like about science in this game, such as where in the game do you see the large influence of large laboratories on science as it has in real life?
          More technology tree issues: what is the Age of Reason doing in the PHYSICAL sciences branch, and why the hell is it researchable after CHEMISTRY? And I thought feudalism was a social system, but why is it in the construction branch? Where are the important physical achievements of the 20th century? What is Nuclear power doing in the Genetic age? Believe it or not, but there are still more flaws in the tree Well, I guess you get the point.
          [This message has been edited by Floris O (edited January 07, 2001).]
          Chickens are not gay!

Comment

Just remember, while you're making comments on these, you can modify what you do not like.

For instance, I plan on making Age of Reason a Cultural Advancement advance.

Comment

"Age of Reason", eh? Is that going to be one of those future techs?

Anyone seen the opening scene in "Baron Munchasuen"? Heh heh.

------------------
              Bluevoss-
              Bluevoss-

Comment

Working...
              X