Too much pollution too early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much pollution too early?

The game i am currently playing is on medium and i dont build very many mines at all and yet i produce wayyy too much pollution early in the game and there arent enough pollution-preventing improvments early enough in the game. I even try to avoid building oil refineries or nuclear plants just to prevent pollution. I remember someone else in another thread also said there's too much pollution too early in the game.
    Any thoughts?

Yes I absolutely agree. There needs to be at least one kind of pollution preventing improvement or something earlier in the game. I also find my cities spewing out too much pollution. My capital doesn't even have a single mine and I'm losing happiness due to pollution.
    :) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused:

Comment

Its the same on hard!

Btw, did you notice that some cities dont produce any science at all? Especially those that are only surrounded by plains!

Ata

Comment

I also noticed that the polar ice caps don't seem to melt like the did in CTP.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 12-17-2000 06:03 PM
          Btw, did you notice that some cities dont produce any science at all? Especially those that are only surrounded by plains!
          Ata

I saw this once. I was over my city limit, so it might be an effect of too many cities ... i.e., any cities built past the limit produce zero science.

If true, it would be a good anti-ICS feature.
          John 6:68

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ElitePersian on 12-17-2000 05:36 PM
            Any thoughts?

You think its bad now wait till you get more advanced cities. My Capitol city pollutes 789! It has plenty of polluction reducing crap. But no matterwhat I do to reduce pollution it just gets worse the more hte city grows. But then again I suppose I could sell my oil refineries and factories. But I'd rather pollute the hell out of mother earth then stop my wars with the AI.

Comment

Seems to me that when one of my cities hit 400 in pollution, I started losing tiles. (hard - in mid Renassaince, no less)

Very cool!! - its about time I have to make some hard decisions concerning my actions - keep the pollution settings this way.
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

move people out of production into other endevors. I found in the early game before pollution reducing buildings keeping the production below 500 helps alot.
                Now the patch will make me start over so i wont make it to the pollution reducing buildings for another 2 weeks.

Comment

How high can your pollution get before you should start to worry? The first time I played CTP2, I noticed my polution was 200 something. I thought it was bad, but nothing seemed to be happening.
                  Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

How high can your pollution get before you should start to worry? The first time I played CTP2, I noticed my polution was 200 something. I thought it was bad, but nothing seemed to be happening.
                    Where are you from? Put yourself on the Apolyton Map!

Comment

The pollution settings mean that you have to spend half the game lowering production, only to find the AI wallowing in their own filth, dead tiles everywhere.

You can't say we were destroying the environment on a massive scale IN THE RENAISANCE!!

------------------
                      "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills, we shall never surrender!" -Winston Churchill

"Gotta love me"- Baby, Dinosaurs

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by red_jon on 12-19-2000 04:53 AM

You can't say we were destroying the environment on a massive scale IN THE RENAISANCE!!

We did actually. The Iberian peninsula was once covered with woods, which were cut down in roman time(to make ships? my memory is a bit foggy here). Speaking of romans, after the final victory over karthago the romans salted their fields so the karthagians were never to rise again(must have worked)
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

The same is true of Northern Europe and the Middle East. Intensive agriculture wiped out most of the forests (Europe north of the Alps used to be one solid forest). The soils in the "fertile crescent" long ago stopped being fertile from thousands of years of poor agricultural practice, and many formerly lush areas have desertified. Medieval towns were cesspools of filth - the rivers down stream were heavily polluted from human waste, the leftovers of metal smelting and smithing, and the harsh acids and alkalais used in tanning and dyeing.

Comment

Like many other aspects of the game, does anyone else have this turned off? I turn off pollution, also Animated Trade, City Perimeter and Trade Routes.

The Trade Routes you can see in the Trade screen (F4), and the City Perimeter is obvious. The animated trade adds nothing, and actually distracts me a bit.

Comment

Personally i dont like having to spend so much time worrying about pollution and reducing my production, maybe activision did this on purpose so the game would be balanced out, so some cities dont pump out artillery units in 2 turns while other cities in 15 turns. Whatever it is, i think there should be a mod that adds pollution-preventing buildings earlier in the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X