Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTP-2 on a low-end system- first impressions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone wondering if CTP2 is playable at or below minimum specs?

Finally got my copy yesterday.
    I have a P166(min spec), 80MB, 2MB Video(below min spec), 200MB swap, Win95. So far I'm about half way through my first game. I have autosave on, 6 civs, regular map. Delay between turns 5-10 sec. I call this extremely good considering the system. Can't wait til I upgrade to 1+GHz in 2001. Thanks Activision.

Comment

Oh, yeah! That's the stuff, zaz. Fingers crossed I can get by with my video card too! Best news I've heard all day.

------------------
      - MKL
      "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
      Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
      - mkl

Comment

MKL - Almost to the end of my first game. Turns now taking 15sec, not bad for the system. You should have no problems with the video card, my 2MB is a generic piece of sh** in a 5 year old HP. Found something out yesterday that has really sped up my game, you can seriously adjust the unit movements with a slider bar in the options. I must have missed this when I loaded the game. I thought all the pieces were moving slowly due to the system. Once I adjusted the slider, the pieces were flying.
        Two things I think, from playing and reading other players comments, that make the difference: RAM - over 64MB and Operating System - low-end machine must have Windows 95.
        Hope you get to play soon, I'm loving it.

Comment

Well I have got near to the end of the game (1800's) with five civs and medium map. I wouldn't call it quite "smooth" but it is tolerable. If you turn off the enemy unit view the game speeds up immensely with 5-10 seconds after each turn even at the end. You lose some information but not that much and it's well worth the extra speed.

I would say that playing all the 600-800 turns might be slow on a low-end machine but that's just fine with me. Anything longer than 500 turns is a bit too long for my tastes anyway regardless of the machine.

Comment

That's good news. The animation sliedr setting was available in CTP with a patch.

Now I've just got to wait nearly another two weeks to play the damn thing!

------------------
            - MKL
            "And a sun that doesn't set but settles" - Augie March
            Shameless Plug: http://www.poetic-license.org ............. All welcome.
            - mkl

Comment

Working...
            X