No announcement yet.

Naval units own the game... once again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval units own the game... once again.

Hey fellas,

I played Civ2, SMAC, didnt play CTP but got CTP2 a few days ago.

Is it just me or naval unit is *still* all you need to win? Same as in Civ2, all I did was I put all of my research to get advance naval units and that's all I have to do to win. I played on the hardest level (my first CTP2 game) and now I'm already in a winning-for-sure situation.

I declared war on everybody (6 enemies), the strongest rival have a few submarines, while I have 1 naval team of 9 Battleship, 1 sub and 1 PT boat and 1 Destroyer, 1 team of 6 carriers (full bombers/fighters loaded), 1 sub 1 PT boat and 1 Destroyer and 3 transporter loaded. These two teams can pretty much get me *all* cities on *any* given continent within a turn at my time in my game.

Also have 23 submarines privating every possible trade route in the world, 12 pt boats sinking random ships that I meet and then some destoryers just laying around chilling, etc. I don't really need any land defense - they can't get there... It's the year 1903 and I already want to stop... meaningless, sorta.

I guess it's just like the real world huh, whoever have the strongest naval troops will own the world.

I guess it all depends on the map you are playing on. If its mostly ocean/sea areas then I guess naval is the way to go. How can you take over the inland cities on large continents without land forces? I find an army of combined forces are working best for me in my present game. Right now I need to use land, air and sea forces. But I do remember some games in CTP1 that my naval forces were dominate. Naval is indeed powerful, that is one reason why the U.S. are so strong in the real world. Think about it, when Iraq gives us trouble our navy is the first thing sent in and is usually all that is needed. Anchors away my boy...anchors away!
    -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Oh...I see you did mention using transport ships. I was wondering how you were taking all of those cities over, guess I must have missed that when I first read it. You said it is only 1903?? You have all of that already plus on the hardest level?? I am not that good, not even close! I can have a large navy and some airforce but it will take me to at least the late 1900s and thats on the medium level.
      [This message has been edited by PrinceBimz (edited November 23, 2000).]
      -PrinceBimz-

Comment

You see, the thing is, I pretty much ignored everything else and just go straight to navy advances. I start owning the sea since ship-of-the-line, also rushed to build/buy East India Company to have 1 extra move on naval units. Honestly, I read the great library very carefully before I start my game and I set my first goal to Battleship (think it's advance naval tactics).

For inland cities, I simply send in bombers then machine gunner, well... if it's *really* inland I guess I couldn't capture it in one turn cause it takes time for the stupid land units to get in and I haven't got up to helicopters and paratroppers, but yes I can pretty much get whatever the hell I wanna On the other hand, I don't have Calvary tactics, communism and such "terminal technologies" (non-preq. on higher techs), I just ignore them.

My cities are smaller than my components, (mine's 19-25, their's 25-30ish) but guess what? I can point to a city and say "mine" My #1 priority in city improvements is to keep up with production (mill, factory, oil refinery, etc) then science, then gold. I figure that in CTP2 (haven't tried CTP) it's very unlikely to be in financial trouble.

Talking bout the real world, I believe in the future naval units are going to give way to airborne units; incidentally, in SMAC (the future right?) air units owned the game

[This message has been edited by BadScript (edited November 24, 2000).]
        [This message has been edited by BadScript (edited November 24, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X