X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities just destroying themselves?

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem:

I am in year 2264 and am at peace with the AI players. One of my cities (always the same one) just dissapears and I cant get past this one turn. It destroys itself. Everything else is left pristine (tile improvements, even a unit that was on garrison is still there!).

I cant figure it out. I have played several times and done different things thinking there was something causing it but... nope. It just up and is totally destroyed.

Anyone had this? Can anyone think what might do this? Forgive me if it is obvious... the Barbarians cant do a steal nano-attack, can they? That is all I can possibly think of. But how did they get the tech? I havent seen the barbarians now for eons.

Cheers!
    Elliott
    Elliott McKinley
    Composer
    http://www.mp3.com/emckinley

That is really strange!

It doesn't sound like a nano-cleanse, because that would remove all units and tile improvements. Seems pretty much like a bug. (And a big one at that!).

How many total cities do you have in your empire?
    What is the population of your largest city?
    When the city disappeared, what was it's population?
    Was it an interior city or one near the boundaries of your empire?

I'm not sure where I'm going with the answers to the above, but knowing these might be helpful in figuring out what's wrong.

------------------
    My reach exceeds my grasp!
    My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

i believe theres an event from a wonder that destroys the top pollution
      causing citys,was you that insane person?now go plant a few trees and say
      sorry.
      Hannibal

Comment

The Eden Wonder is a possibility, but this doesn't match up with the observations. If it was the wonder, the units should have been destroyed as well.

Worth checking out though, just to be sure.

------------------

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks so far for the response.

I am the most advanced--already Diamond age while my AI partners are still in the Modern ages. In fact I can reasearch the thing that gives the option for the Eden wonder but am doing something else. None of the AI partners are even close to the Eden wonder and, no other cities are destroyed (the Eden wonder destroys 3 cities I think).
          All improvements are left and even one of the untis is still sitting there in that spot where the city was.

To answer Skeeve:

How many total cities do you have in your empire?
          What is the population of your largest city?
          When the city disappeared, what was it's population?
          Was it an interior city or one near the boundaries of your empire?
          On the water and on a boundary.

--

Anyway I might just play through it and keep a save before the event in case someone figures it out. Its very strange. If it were a bug then it would have to be very obscure because I would think others would have stumbled on it by now.

Thanks!
          Elliott
          Elliott McKinley
          Composer

Comment

Curiouser and Curiouser...

Only 15 cities, and none are even at the maximum.
            No MODs have been installed, I take it, either.

I have a weird idea, though. Try giving the city to one of the AI players the turn before it disappears and see what happens.
            If nothing happens, then declare war and take it back by force!

Heh he.. I'm such a war monger.

------------------

Comment

I'm playing my second game, and I had the same problem. Two cities near the ocean disappear at once and are replaced by beach tiles. I emailed customer support because I thought it might be a glitch (like you, I tried to figure out if an enemy unit could be causing and ruled out Eco Terorrists, which seemed like the only possibility). Their response: most likely, based on the length into the game, it's caused by Global Warming--in other words, I'm assuming, the ocean levels are rising and swallowing my (and perhaps your) cities.

Comment

Hi all,

Yes, maybe thats it. I noticed that one of my AI opponents cities was also destroyed (leaving, funny enough, a road out into the ocean with a garrisoned infantryman...just stitting in the ocean!). Anyway, if it was global warming then it would be nice if the game would warn you a bit. I mean this was absolutely without any warning. Granted the global pollution levels were high for hundreds of years...

Thanks to all who brainstormed this mystery. Perhaps it is now solved.

Cheers!
                Elliott

quote:

Originally posted by aaronemmel on 03-19-2001 07:21 PM
                I'm playing my second game, and I had the same problem. Two cities near the ocean disappear at once and are replaced by beach tiles. I emailed customer support because I thought it might be a glitch (like you, I tried to figure out if an enemy unit could be causing and ruled out Eco Terorrists, which seemed like the only possibility). Their response: most likely, based on the length into the game, it's caused by Global Warming--in other words, I'm assuming, the ocean levels are rising and swallowing my (and perhaps your) cities.

Elliott McKinley
                Composer

Comment

Global Warming? DOH!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X