Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succession Game?

Hey Folks,

I noticed that people on the CIV2 board were playing a succession game.
    Has that ever been done with CTP2 and if not does anyone want to give it a try?

Perhaps the ground rules would be use of the DiploMod and AI Frenzy to start.

------------------
    My reach exceeds my grasp!
    My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Ahhh Skeeve, What's a succession game again? I don't think I have come across that terminology before. Though I probably will recognise the strategy etc.

------------------
    Give me Liberty, or give me death!
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Well, from what I gather, it is a single-player game started by one person and played for a pre-determined number of turns before taking the saved game file and passing it on to another. This 2nd player then plays for the same number of turns and passes it on to a 3rd... and so on, repeating through the circle until the game is finished.

At least that seems to be the gist of it.
      I guess the fun is seeing what has become of the game when you get it the second time around.

Mind you, I've never done this, so I'm not exactly sure how this would all work.

------------------

Comment

Okay then. I don't know if there are enough CTPII players. I understand that a succession game relies on the ability to change production without penalty. How does this affect CTPII succession games? It might not, with the proper use of build ques.

Anyway Skeeve, good question, and yes I am pretty much just speculating.

------------------
        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

From what I've observed on the CIV2 boards, as each person receives the file and plays his rounds, he posts a message on the boards to briefly describe his activity. This lets the anticipation build for the other players and gets them excited about their own contribution.

Well, I guess I'll just monitor this thread for a while and see if anyone wants to start one up.

Sean, is it safe to assume you would participate if more were interested?

------------------

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

If you guys are serious about this, keep me informed.

edit:
            I just took a look at one of the succession game threads in the civ2 forums. They played 20 turns each until 1AD, then 15 turns each for a while, then down to 10 turns each in the modern era.

------------------
            phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
            Visit the CGN forums.
            [This message has been edited by phoenixcager (edited March 12, 2001).]

Comment

Sean, is it safe to assume you would participate if more were interested?

[/quote]

If we can get a few more people sure (three so far), why not? Breaking the turns down to something like twenty is a good idea. This should spare us the more mundane parts of the game. They sure get some interest for these games in the civ ii forum. I nominate you to go first.

------------------
              --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Okay, so we're up to 3. That's Phoenixcager, Sean & Skeeve.
                I assume that we would play with the Diplomod & AI Frenzy Mods. Or maybe to encourage those new to the game we could drop the AI Frenzy.

Anyway, I guess it would be best to wait and see if more people are interested before going into details.

If anyone else is interested in participating in a CTP2 Succession game, please post a response to this thread. We'll start a new thread when the game begins.

------------------

Comment

I currently don't play with any mods. Will the diplomod and/or AI frenzy make a lot of changes to my files? Also, will it be easy to remove the mods if I want to play without them?

------------------
                  Visit the CGN forums.
                  [This message has been edited by phoenixcager (edited March 13, 2001).]

Comment

Lets keep it simple, first time round. Think of it as a trial run.
                    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Agreed, then. Let's keep it simple and play without mods.
                      That should minimize the troubleshooting.

------------------

Comment

I'm interested too, definitely! It would be especially interesting if people of different playing styles would be interested as well. When's it start?

Comment

Hi Octavius III! The more the merrier.

Skeeve, yes playing without mods would make it easier for a first attempt.

------------------
                          Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

Great! It looks like this might actually be a Go:

Here are the ground rules: (subject to your alterations, of course).
                            • Start on a Regular Size Random Map (we don't want to drag the game out too long)
                            • Starting Civ: No clue.. how about the Greeks?
                            • Leader's Name: Again, No Clue. How about Plato......?
                            • Turn Length - as suggested above. 20 turns until 1 AD, 15 until 1500AD, and then 10 turns thereafter.
                            • Difficulty: let's avoid Impossible for now, and play on Very Hard.
                            • No Modifications, original game files only.
                            • Gameplay: Freedom to do anything you want, as long as you post your actions on the Forum thread (to be created). Therefore, you should be ready to defend your decisions.

Please post any additions or changes you might have to the above rules.

Since we will have to send saved game files to each other, I'll need your e-mail addresses. To keep it confidential, you can just send them to me at Scanga@AOL.com.

Oh, almost forgot... the order of Play!
                            I'll play the first 20 turns, and we'll pass the saved game in the following order:
                            Sean goes 2nd (3500 BC)
                            Phoenixcager 3rd (3000 BC)
                            Octavius III 4th (2500 BC)
                            Next Player 5th (assuming we get more people interested)
                            and then back to myself to repeat the cycle.

I think everyone should be able to play their 20 turns within 24 hrs after receiving the file. At least I hope.

Let's plan to start this come Hell or High Water on April 1st!

------------------

Comment

Sounds good. Lets kick this puppy off then. I have sent you an e-mail address. I was getting real bored with CTPII, but this sounds like a good way to keep it "up-vibe and interesting".
                              --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Working...
                              X