This problem is seriously affecting gameplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This problem is seriously affecting gameplay

I listed this problem a long time ago, but the issue went away so I didn't pursue it. Now it has arisen again, and is exactly the same.

I have spent the last 200 turns or so involved in war with the 5 other civilisations; it could not be avoided any more due to space restrictions and their pillaging/pirating of my goods.

I have kicked ass basically, but now need to stop because :

a) I have once again exceeded my maximum city size (despite modifying the game files)

b) want to concentrate on the Gaia Controller

In an attempt to appease my enemies, I have signed cease fires with them all, and regularly hold receptions in many many cities. But I need peace treaties!

I decided to offer my new cities back to them in an attempt to forge relationships, but lo and behold, this is impossible.

When I get to select a city, the list appears and fills up the entire height of the screen, but only covers about 50 of my cities, and in chronological order. Therefore the only ones I can offer are my advanced cities on what I consider my own continent, and I do not want to do this; I want to give the crappy cities I have spent hundreds of years bombarding/pillaging etc etc which are of little use to me.

So how can I do this??? I cannot continue to just take cities in appropriate locations for obelisks because my civilisation is unhappy both at empire size and war discontent, and so I am concerned that rioting might soon ensue.

Don't stop conquering, get them now! You shouldn't attempt to pursue a science victory: there's poor and sometimes even wrong documentation about it in the manual and readme, and it is very difficult and not rewarding. Your sword must be stained with blood, not with justice, or something like that .
    Chickens are not gay!

Comment

I cannot continue conquering, as I am over my maximum city list, and have won the game by conquering many times over...

Any other help?

Comment

Unfortunately I have no help. But I'm here to sympathize. That problem bites!!! I hope someone has an answer or activision responds because it sounds like a programming oversight to me.

Comment

Hi,
          maybe it is not exactly your problem.
          I have experienced the problem with maximum number of cities when tying to conquer the world.
          there are two remedies only:
          - get a government which allows for a higher number of cities. But even with the best government one may have not more than 60 cities in CTPii.
          - get rid of any city smaller than 4 immediately after conquering it. (in the list of all cities there is a button for 'aufloesen' In German, which can be used for cities up to the size of 3).
          IF all the cities of your enemies have a size larger than 3 after conquering, THEN you should never exceed the maximum number of cities allowed for the current government because otherwise you run into discontent an revolutions.

I have also tested to give away a certain city to another civ and found the same as you:
          the list of cities to select from is not scrollable and consists of the uppermost so and so many cities only but not of all of my 50 cities. That list should be scrollable.
          regards -- Karl

quote:

Originally posted by Cardinal red on 01-11-2001 06:12 AM
          I listed this problem a long time ago, but the issue went away so I didn't pursue it. Now it has arisen again, and is exactly the same.

I have spent the last 200 turns or so involved in war with the 5 other civilisations; it could not be avoided any more due to space restrictions and their pillaging/pirating of my goods.

I have kicked ass basically, but now need to stop because :

a) I have once again exceeded my maximum city size (despite modifying the game files)

b) want to concentrate on the Gaia Controller

In an attempt to appease my enemies, I have signed cease fires with them all, and regularly hold receptions in many many cities. But I need peace treaties!

I decided to offer my new cities back to them in an attempt to forge relationships, but lo and behold, this is impossible.

When I get to select a city, the list appears and fills up the entire height of the screen, but only covers about 50 of my cities, and in chronological order. Therefore the only ones I can offer are my advanced cities on what I consider my own continent, and I do not want to do this; I want to give the crappy cities I have spent hundreds of years bombarding/pillaging etc etc which are of little use to me.

So how can I do this??? I cannot continue to just take cities in appropriate locations for obelisks because my civilisation is unhappy both at empire size and war discontent, and so I am concerned that rioting might soon ensue.

Comment

Third remedy: Eco-Rangers.

Comment

fourth remedy....remain in a state of anarchy at all times. max number of cities = 1000.

However, don't expect much in the way of science.

hroman21

------------------
              "Laughter is the most powerful weapon ever created. Against laughter, nothing stands!"
              "Laughter is the most powerful weapon ever created. Against laughter, nothing stands!"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by hroman21 on 01-18-2001 09:13 PM
                fourth remedy....remain in a state of anarchy at all times. max number of cities = 1000.

How do you remain in a state of anarchy?? Just keep on changing governments?? Or is there another way??

Comment

Yes, keep changing governments. It's pretty pathetic, but a simple move.

------------------

Comment

I have changed the Government data in the text files to make maximum cities 100+ etc, but that does not hide the almost shabby programming...

For example, one of the cities is in very dangerous territory indeed, thanks to the overtaking of several surrounding cities of other civs, and it now shares a border with 3 civilisations... one of which is not mine.

Because I have the frenzy mod, there is no doubt that it will be attacked soon, and my constant bombarding had a dramatic effect on it's productivity... and the 12 stack v 12 stack battle left my forces depleted... etc etc etc.

I want to surrender this city!

This is because then I can increase my regard with one of the other civilisations, and finally drop my war status to prepared or whatever is the middle one, and concentrate on building up my forces again for the invasion of that continent. I could just lose the city in a battle, but that is a wasted oppourtunity.

You shouldn't have to find your way around basic problems... they should be fixed!

Comment

Working...
                    X