Activision lies about the patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision lies about the patch

Hey guys, I recently downloaded and installed the 1.1 patch. I saw both here on Apolyton and on the Activision support site that it would fix auto-centering and add hotseat, among other things.

Well, the patch certainly did neither of these things. I thought maybe it was because I was playing a 1.0 saved game, so I started a new game, but those catapults still tore my people to shreds without me ever knowing they were there.

I can't and won't play this game without auto-centering (both for bombarding and for special attacks). It saddens me greatly that Activision (and Apolyton, by extension) will blatantly lie about a patch.

If it is the case that I must simply toggle a switch in a txt file somewhere, than I appologize. But it doesn't seem like that is the case to me.

Well, there's autocentering and then there's autocentering.

For example, if the computer forwarded you to each of your units with movement points available during your turn, you might call that "auto-centering".

Or if the computer sent you to cities without build orders in queue, one at a time, at some point during your turn, you might call that "auto-centering".

It seems like you are particularly upset because you want the computer to forward you to any unit that is bombarded. It will do so, for a second at least, if your options are set to "show enemy moves". And then there's the sound effect tip-off [actually, the only real purpose sound has in this game is to let you hear the little "thunk" of a catapult or the "tinkle, tinkle" of a slaver attack]. I guess you want a message "one of our units has been bombarded" which forwards you to the unit when you click on the message? Or no message, just immediately forward you to the unit? What if more than one unit is bombarded? How do you tell the difference between being forwarded to a unit because it has been bombarded, and being forwarded to a unit because it's that unit's turn to move? We seem to need SOME kind of messaging here, but "autocentering" of the kind you're requesting might give us LESS information, not more.

Comment

It saddens me greatly that Activision (and Apolyton, by extension) will blatantly lie about a patch.

Statements like this saddens *me*, Cyrius. Activision has not stated that there will be no future CTPII patches, so your assertation here is premature at best.

Furthermore, this "Apolyton by extension" comment is ludicrous.

----------------
      Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

quote:

For example, if the computer forwarded you to each of your units with movement points available during your turn, you might
        call that "auto-centering".

Or if the computer sent you to cities without build orders in queue, one at a time, at some point during your turn, you might
        call that "auto-centering".

Look, all I want is for the screen to show me whenever one of my cities or armies is attacked by the enemy (in any way). Thats it! I don't give a damn about the rest of it. Not even centering when giving orders. I can hit a key to center for that.

quote:

It seems like you are particularly upset because you want the computer to forward you to any unit that is bombarded. It will
        do so, for a second at least, if your options are set to "show enemy moves". And then there's the sound effect tip-off
        [actually, the only real purpose sound has in this game is to let you hear the little "thunk" of a catapult or the "tinkle, tinkle" of
        a slaver attack]. I guess you want a message "one of our units has been bombarded" which forwards you to the unit when
        you click on the message? Or no message, just immediately forward you to the unit? What if more than one unit is bombarded?
        How do you tell the difference between being forwarded to a unit because it has been bombarded, and being forwarded to a
        unit because it's that unit's turn to move? We seem to need SOME kind of messaging here, but "autocentering" of the kind
        you're requesting might give us LESS information, not more.

Fluffygreycat, it does not do what you say it does. Yes, the game will briefly (very briefly) center on enemy units moving through your site range. But if the unit does not move, (IE is in a city), the screen will never center on that unit at all. Also, bombardment doesn't take place until after a unit has moved and by that time the screen has moved on to another enemy unit, and all you get is a "Thump" or "boom" and probably a cry of death from one of your units. Which one, is anyones guess.

Fluffy, I don't want a message. That would be awful. Theres enough messages already. I simply want to see the enemy unit fire (so I know what and where it is) and see the damage done to my units (so I can tell which died). Thats all.

quote:

Statements like this saddens *me*, Cyrius. Activision has not stated that there will be no future CTPII patches, so your
        assertation here is premature at best.

DanQ, first let me say that I do not like making statements like this; I enjoy many games activision has made and I enjoy the CTP games. I am also impressed by the community here at Apolyton.

Regardless of how I feel, however, the truth must be told. And it is truth. I never implied that Activions will not release another patch. Such an assertion would be absurd. I am however, very upset that Activison (and apolyton) would make false statements about a patch.

And false they are. Since you don't belive me, go to the Activison support site, choose patches and then CTP2. When you find the 1.1 patch, look for a description of fixes. On this list you will find a statement that says something to the effect of "added auto-centering for bombardment". This same statement can be found in MarkG's post on the list of fixes made by the patch. Whilest I understand Mark probably just cut & pasted it, I am disturbed to see that Apolyton professionals did not check to see if these statements were correct or not before posting for the general public. So, Apolyton is guilty by extension.

The readme file included with the patch itself is the final word on the fixes, and should have been used by Activision and Apolyton. It does not say anything about auto-centering or hotseat play. Unfortunately, I did not know this until after I had re-installed CTP2, played thru an old save game, started a new game, played that for awhile (thinking old games might be incompatible), and invited a friend over to play hotseat, only to find that the issues I am interseted in were completely ignored.

What I am trying to do is bring to light a falsehood that has apparently been overlooked by the rest of Apolyton so that others will not make the same mistake I have.
        [This message has been edited by Cyrius (edited December 30, 2000).]

Comment

first of all, where did you get that thing about hotseat?
          the activision support pages say
          quote:

Problem
          Is there a hotseat or email play mode?

Solution
          No, these are not features in this game.
          http://www.activision.com/support/kb/7823.html

quote:

Originally posted by Cyrius on 12-30-2000 01:29 AM
          On this list you will find a statement that says something to the effect of "added auto-centering for bombardment". This same statement can be found in MarkG's post on the list of fixes made by the patch. Whilest I understand Mark probably just cut & pasted it, I am disturbed to see that Apolyton professionals did not check to see if these statements were correct or not before posting for the general public. So, Apolyton is guilty by extension.

i'm sorry, but i'm just the messenger. i'm not a developer(in case you dont know it). i could not and will not check any kind of fix list for 100% accuracy before posting(perhaps you would want us to have our own Quality Assurance department where we would test every file we post for a month before posting on the site?). if this proves to be a "lie"(and i fail to see why they would lie if it can be so easily proven otherwise) i will of course "carry" YOUR message, as this is what i do

Comment

Here is the page that lists the "fixes":
            http://www.activision.com/downloads/55.asp

Thanks for your answer Mark. I realize my demands were really high, and that we really can't expect Bulletin Board monitors to be code testers. You have a very valid point there. I appologize for being so severe, I was just upset that I had been given false information.

However, I must say that last night I booted up my save game and continued playing, and the screen did move to the site of an enemy bombarding my troops (much to my suprise). Given, it only showed the very tail end of the attack and only very briefly, but it did move the screen. Perhaps earlier the bombard had been on the very edge of the screen? I know that things that happen on the edge of the screen don't get centered. I need to test this more throughly before I can clearly say whether or not it has been fixed.

However, Hotseat is still definately not present.

If I was incorrect in my statement, and it seems that I might have been, I want to humbly appologize for what I said here. I'll let everyone know what I find out in the next few days.

Comment

The link you gave is the readme for the patch for CTP1, not CTP2.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Cyrius on 12-31-2000 10:41 AM
                Here is the page that lists the "fixes":
                http://www.activision.com/downloads/55.asp
                eeer, hmmmm, what Paul said...
                quote:

I realize my demands were really high, and that we really can't expect Bulletin Board monitors to be code testers.
                thanks for understanding
                btw, monitoring the boards are just a small part of what we do on the site

Comment

ARRRGG!!

Sometimes I am amazed by my own stupidity. The real link is here:
                  http://www.activision.com/downloads/279.asp

And yes, the hotseat claim is missing from this. I have no idea how I ended up at the wrong page. D'oh! That would explain why I thought hotseat was added when it really wasn't...

But the claim for auto-centering is there. Course, they might have actually done it. As I said, I need to do more research (read: playing ). But why didn't this get into the readme that went with the patch?
                  [This message has been edited by Cyrius (edited December 31, 2000).]

Comment

OK, I played for a bit longer last night and I have found that there is some auto-centering for bombardment, as long as the bombardment does not occur anywhere on screen (even the very edge). However, I have determined that this auto-centering will occur at some times and not at others. Why this is I'm not sure. It may have something to do with the target stack being fortified, but I'm not sure. More testing is required...

Comment

Working...
                    X