City Garrison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Garrison

What do you all think the best combinations of units are to defend cities? Here are my combinations that I use:

Very beginning of game: 1 warrior
    Later in Ancient Age: 2 hoplites, 2 archers
    Rennisance: 2 Infantrymen, 2 Cannon
    Modern: 2 Marines, 2 Artillery
    Future: Still 2 Marines, 2 Artillery, maybe increasing numbers of Marines and Artillery.

Of course, this is a normal garrison. On front line cities, I have more units.

Jonny

That is pretty much the same way I set mine up, even though I've never had the comp even attempt to attack any of my non-frontline cities.
    To each his own...

Carpe Diem

Comment

I place allot more units in my cities to protect them. It seems that having only one unit early in the game could be subjected to a barbarian invasion. I'm used to playing Civ 2, were you enemy actuality are a threat. In Call to Power 2 the AI isn't very good at war and I probably don't need to spend so much on defense. I guess another good reason keeping defenses small is you wouldn't have so many old units to get rid of when they are obsolete.
      Paul Henry

Comment

that sounds a lot like mine, but 1 warrior!? if barbarians come, one warrior won't do much. a hoplite and an archer, or if you don't have archers, at least 2 hoplites in ancient. one warrior on anything over "ruins only" and barbarians will eat you alive.

Comment

Very beginning of game: none. If I loose a city I start over. I'm more worried about exploration and defeating the Americans at the begining.

Later in Ancient Age: 1 hoplite, 1 archer, 1 catapult (asap)

Rennisance: 2 Infantrymen, 1 Cannon (more if city in danger)

Modern: 2 Marines (defense), 2 Artillery (bombard)

Future: 1 tank (flank), 1 Artillery(bombard), 2 marine(defense), 1 fighter(kill enemy before they reach your city) or cruise missile.

Comment

Here is my garrison strategy -

Ancient Age: two Hoplites

Rennaisance Age: two Pikemen

Later Rennasiance Age: two Pikemen, two Infantrymen

Modern Age: two Pikemen, two Infantrymen

Later Modern Age: three Machine Gunners

Duration of the game: four Machine Gunners, two Artillery
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hmm,
              All these cities with so few armies in them....

Activision, are you listening?
              It seems nobody respects your AI's ability to wage war.
              Maybe you should do something about that, don't you think?
              To each his own...

Carpe Diem

Comment

Is it good to put ranged/bombard units in your city because they actually use their ranged attack when someone attacks your city? or is it because you can bombard when someone comes near?

Comment

Static defense: One, may two of whatever my current defensive unit is in each city.

Active defense: a couple large reserve armies of fast mounted units (I loooooove roads), plus many ships to sink marauding ships before they reach the coast.

The advantage is that it is very easy to shift from peaceful defense to strong attack - just send the ships and horses forward!

Comment

I've been an avid Civ, Civ2 and SMAC player. I never like to expend the energy to keep a large defensive force. I'll usually have 1 unit defending my cities, and keep up a good road/rail network. Then I'll keep a small mobile army (cavalry/tanks), just a few units in case of "surprises". I very rarely get surprised though. I usually keep the AI off-balance because I'm always attacking with a large "front-line" force. I have yet to see the CTP2 AI put together a good offense. Maybe someday I will (I hope)

Comment

I mentioned my city garrison defense strategy. Here is my mobile defense strategy:

Ancient Age - no mobile defense

Rennaisance Age - three Knights stacked together stationed at various points inside my empire

Later Rennaisance Age and first half of Modern Age - three Cavalry stacked together stationed at various points inside my empire

Later Modern Age - three Tanks stacked together stationed at various points inside my empire

Post Modern Age and duration of the game - three Fusion Tanks stacked together stationed at various points inside my empire

And of course, I LOVE creating sensible road networks. Plus, I maintain a coastal defense with a navy. (I modified the earlier ship types to have attack power and attack ability)
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

My standard garrisons are:
                        Ancient: early 1 hoplite
                        1 archer
                        late 2 hoplite
                        2 archer
                        1 catapult
                        Renaissance: early 2 pikeman
                        2 infantry
                        late 2 infantry
                        1 cavalry
                        1 cannon
                        Modern: early 2 machine gunners
                        1 artillery
                        late 3 marines or paratroopers
                        1 arty
                        1 SAM
                        1 fighter
                        Future: 3 hover infantry
                        1 war walker
                        1 leviathan
                        2 stealth fighters
                        After I get nanite factories, I tend to load my haertland cities with a few extra leviathans making them nearly impossible to take. (got to love those nanite factories). The down side to having large garrisons is obviously the maintainance cost, but it does help in diplomacy, and in going to war, you can just take a unit or two from one city to garrison a newly conquered city, while the invasion force continues with its blitzkrieg.

Comment

No one answered my question and I dont think anybody will:
                          Is it good to put ranged/bombard units in your city because they actually use their ranged attack when someone attacks your city? or is it because you can bombard when someone comes near?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ElitePersian on 12-13-2000 06:53 PM

um, both, actually
                            To each his own...

Carpe Diem

Comment

Half my interior cities have no defenders, and i keep fast moving units on the roads. at the beginning I'll keep one warrior/hoplite along with an archer. I keep large armies in the field and its rare that the AI launches a large enough invasion to get to far into my territory. However, if the cities are spaced too far apart, beware those rascally barbarians that pop up any where at any time.

------------------
                              History is written by the victor.

Comment

Working...
                              X