Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map size and turn length

2 questions :
    Turn length. In the DiffDb.txt, the length of the turns can be modified. For instance, this is the time scale for beginner.
    TIME_SCALE{
    START_YEAR -4000
    NUM_PERIODS 5
    PERIOD {
    START_TURN 0
    YEARS_PER_TURN 20
    }
    PERIOD {
    START_TURN 150
    YEARS_PER_TURN 10
    }
    PERIOD {
    START_TURN 340
    YEARS_PER_TURN 5
    }
    PERIOD {
    START_TURN 500
    YEARS_PER_TURN 2
    }
    PERIOD {
    START_TURN 600
    YEARS_PER_TURN 1
    }
    NEGATIVE_YEAR_FORMAT BC_YEAR_FORMAT
    POSITIVE_YEAR_FORMAT AD_YEAR_FORMAT
    }

Here's my question. What is the effect of any change here regarding the end of the game? If I use 10 years / turn instead of 20 for the first period, will the game have the same number of turns (and finish at a date earlier), or is the limit a fix date, and so the game would last longer?

Map size : I have tried to increase it, by modifying const.txt and map .txt. Although I've sticked to a ratio of 2, I am not pleased with the result. A map of 96*192 is fine, but if I try a 256*512 and go to the cheat menu to have a look at it, it is really awfull : the repartition of continent / Island / Ocean is really bad. Dozens of small islands are gathered all together, huge bodies of land are all in the other half of the map...
    Any way to improve it?

Steph

I had previous post..

Heres what I did..

**I made a 250 X 500..5 civs plus barbarians..(me and 4 ai's)

**made it so 1 turn per year

**I also put BLOODLUST on..thus assuring a long game where we would have to wipe out one another!

**So far so good..science is going as normal...in the fact that although years are now 1 for every turn..scince was kept at same pace...I am at around 3917 I believe and I am on Impossible level..I have Railroad and Brokerages....

**I am to assume because of the fact that it is BLOODLUST I can and will carry on until 2300 AD..

As far as your concern for the way Map looks..well..here are a few options...

1) Adjust sliders more to your liking

or

2)..place a few tiles here and there or even remove a few tiles to make more realistic...

I am very happy with the way my map/game is proceeding..

I wish you best of fortunes my friend!

Troll

------------------
    If they call an orange an orange, why don't they call a banana a yellow?-Christopher Lloyd-Taxi

The Forum Fur Flyer
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Steph

I had previous post..

Heres what I did..

**I made a 250 X 500..5 civs plus barbarians..(me and 4 ai's)

**made it so 1 turn per year

**I also put BLOODLUST on..thus assuring a long game where we would have to wipe out one another!

**So far so good..science is going as normal...in the fact that although years are now 1 for every turn..scince was kept at same pace...I am at around 3917 I believe and I am on Impossible level..I have Railroad and Brokerages....

**I am to assume because of the fact that it is BLOODLUST I can and will carry on until 2300 AD..

As far as your concern for the way Map looks..well..here are a few options...

1) Adjust sliders more to your liking

or

2)..place a few tiles here and there or even remove a few tiles to make more realistic...

I am very happy with the way my map/game is proceeding..

I wish you best of fortunes my friend!

Troll

------------------
      If they call an orange an orange, why don't they call a banana a yellow?-Christopher Lloyd-Taxi

The Forum Fur Flyer
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Ok, but I can't add tiles with a random map, otherwise the fun of discovery would disappear. And regarding slider, I can't find a setting that produce a nice map if it is to big.
        Should I change some of the figures in the map.txt files? Like min size, bump, etc? What are the efects of changes there?

Comment

Working...
        X