An Opinion On Created Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Opinion On Created Maps

I am not asking to be lynched or ostracized for expressing my opinion on other people's work. Before I get to the real issue, I would first like to make the following comments:

1) the maps that were created by those whose work was posted by OmniGod are wonderfully accurate geographically

2) I appreciate the prolific map creators who share their work for free, in spite of the time they go through it, even if they say they enjoy making maps

3) I realize I have only contributed one map so far, but I am almost done with a fictional map and will submit it upon completion

Now, here is my dreaded opinion.

The maps that I have downloaded so far are TOO accurate as far as I'm concerned. They are mostly hills, mountains, and deserts in the maps I have downloaded. So -- where could I possibly settle decent cities?? I know, I know -- there are two things I can do myself to fix this problem:

1) I can change the terrain myself to however I like it through the map editor

2) I can change the food/production/gold attributes of the terrain tiles themselves in the proper text file

BUT, I do believe in this -- that for maps to be enjoyable, one does not have to create as closely accurate in geography as possible for any Earth/region map. My belief is that one should create a map only as accurately as possible that does not severely limit city locations.

I appreciate all the maps that have been created so far, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them after I make my own repairs.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.
Working...
X