• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, not everyone has posted their..

name (to be used in the game)
    email address
    preferred nation

so I can't start tonight, which is lucky becuase I haven't got hold of sophix's quick start mod yet. by the way is there an easy way of making people start with more settlers ?

Comment

No Im afraid there isn't an easier way to start with more settlers . You can however drop the SemiAcc mod on turn 5. It will generate some errors but they are meaningless.

If you want to grab the Semi Accelerated Mod

Go to
      http://www1.50megs.com/ctp

Read the Readme for playing instructions. BTW you no longer have to replace the files in the main directory.

Comment

So do we all need to download Sophix's mod, or is Burchill the only one who needs it?

I do agree that it's preferable to start in the ancient world.

See ya.

Comment

Players have two options they can either install the Dutcheese files in the main directories, in which case they won't need the Semi Acc mod. Or they can load the game thru the scenario, how to do this is detailed in the scenario in which case they will need the Semi Acc. The second method takes a bit longer to load your turn but you don't have to swap text files back and forth, if you play other mplayer games.

Comment

My sugestion: No more Advances and militiary units at start..

Comment

I disagree.
              I'm playing in both Dutcheese and Semi-Acc and I think Sophix has just about got the game balance dead right.

Both games are in the 50's now but in DC I'm building Battleships when I've got less than 20 Cities, half of then without Mills let alone Factories, whilst in Semi-Acc the first Musketeers and Cannons are just coming out to play. It feels much more natural as my Cities are at the right sort of size and development level for this to be happening whereas in DC I've reached Steel and Aerodynamics without having built a single Academy!

Also the greater acceleration of DC does not make early war more likely. Two Musketeers in each City is just too strong. It doesn't matter how warlike you are you just cannot shift them until you at least get Cannon and so if anything conflict is far less likely. With 10 Settlers you have no alternative to a Gigantic World because of the first turn 'land grab' and the fact that you almost always pick up another couple of Settlers from Ruins.

Comment

So the Semi-Acc that Jon is advocating sounds best to me, although there is the variation to this that Sophanthro mentioned to start with Semi-Acc and then drop it after the 5th move, which I gather would give us the extra settlers, but not the other speed-ups.

I guess its up to you, burchill as to which you'd like to choose. I like the Semi-Acc idea (and then dropping it after 5 turns), but I'll go with whatever you decide.
                [This message has been edited by Rick Elkins (edited March 15, 2000).]

Comment

Right I agree with the idea of using sophix's mod until turn 5 and then dropping it (by the way, thanks for posting sophix).

I am not exactly sure how this works but I will give it a go. Therefore everyone needs the semi acc mod (I think). And we will all have to load a scenario until turn 5. I know sophix gave the url earlier but here it is again...

http://www1.50megs.com/ctp

I am going to start the game tonight, only with the people who posted their details when asked to (I assume the rest have lost interest as they aren't reading the forum).

Rowick Hepan is the only one who is not aware of the debate over which mod to use, therefore whoever takes his turn before him should let him know in the email that he needs the sophix mod.

That seems to be it. I shall go and start the game.

Ok, I am having trouble getting the mod working, so the game may not start tonight. I have emailed sophix.

The problem is that I can see the scenario pack but not the actual scenario.
                  [This message has been edited by burchill (edited March 15, 2000).]

Comment

Hmm Im checking into it. One of the Zips I made was messed up. I thought I deleted it and uploaded the right one but I could have screwed up.

Yep I screwed up. Burchill Ive emailed you the correct one. And updated the site.

Thanks Jon for the balancing comment. BTW I suggest that every one play the mod before playing your turn, as the super units (useless after turn 3) have increased movement.
                    [This message has been edited by Sophanthro (edited March 15, 2000).]

Comment

Can someone please fill me in on what this mod does and how to install it. Do I set it up as a scen or do I have to put it on the whole game. I've got Dutchese on for other games so if I have to put it on the whole system I'm going to have to do some juggling

Comment

Hey Rowick if you have DC installed in your main directories you don't have to do anything as the Mod, is just a modified version to DC's with the only change being the SLIC files. Only the starter needs the SLIC files if you have DC installed in your main directory.

Your other alternative is simple, that is
                        1Download the mod from www1.50megs.com/ctp Unzip semi.zip into your sceanrio folder.

2 when you recieve your turn, place the turn in any saved game folder.

3 Then start CTP like you would for single player. Go to new single player game. select the Semi Acc scenario. Launch the game .

4Once the game is launched, Go to options and select load game. Load the PBEM turn you placed in your saved game folder.

This method is detailed in the README. And this only needs to be done for the first 5 turns.

Comment

The game has started !!

Forgive if I sound excited, but with all this mod bussiness I feel like it is a personal acheivement .

Right, I am going to start a new thread called...

burchill PBEM

you should post when you take your turn.

I have been asked if we should put some sort of time limit on the time it takes to take a turn... what do you the rest of you think about this ? (obviously you should tell us if go on holiday or something, so we can set you to AI)

Comment

Working...
                          X