X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulno1's Internet Game Challenge

Settings:
    Game Name = Paulno1's Internet Game Challenge
    Internet game; deity level; raging hordes; regular size map; donut world; random map; all map settings at 50%; 3 settlers, 100 gold; restart until 3600 B.C., NON GAMELEAGUE GAME; no rush buy/remove tricks; no other bug utilization tricks; speed cities -- 30 seconds max per city (no time pestering); 4 hour sessions; break every 2 hours.

Game will start at:
    7:00 a.m. Auckland, New Zealand
    12:00 p.m. (high noon ) Los Angeles, USA
    3:00 p.m. Toronto, Canada
    8:00 p.m. London, Great Britain

Proposed Players:
    1. Paulno1 (New Zealand) -- Number 1 player on CTP GameLeague for several months.
    2. Quinns (United States) -- Number 15 player on CTP PBEM Ratings, number 93 player on CTP GameLeague (new to GameLeague) .
    3. Gavrushka (United Kingdom) -- Number 92 player on CTP Gameleague (new to GameLeague).

One moderator (any volunteers?)

If agreed to by all players, pick a Saturday or Sunday. I am available next Saturday, May 26 at noon PDT.
    [This message has been edited by quinns (edited May 21, 2001).]

** Previous posts related to this game **

Paulno1
    Settler
    Auckland New Zealand
    Mar 2001

posted May 21, 2001 08:33

Gav and quinns or who ever was challening me
    What map settings you like
    0 ocean land settings is always good then you get all hills and mountains,
    That gives you alot too do when it comes too mining

yes on all islands.
    about 7 diverse
    i dont care about amount of goods too much, less there is the more skill required.
    Wet about 4
    continent about 4 or 5 more the less hills and mountians there become slightly.
    I prefer if there is no gifting tec untill at least 0 ad gigantic map not worry quite so much. I ran into troubles
    on reg maps in 2 on 1's when they got ahead on tec early when they gifted. That made it a little harder but
    not too hard.
    Had i mentioned that i had played 2 on 1's many times. Ived tried 3 on 1 but got too slow.

quinns
    King
    California, USA
    Oct 2000

posted May 21, 2001 10:24

Okay Paul, that is a LOT of conditions on the two on one game that I proposed earlier. It sounds like your
    strategy is tailor made for those exact settings. If you are still interested in playing this game, I would suggest
    we leave the settings exactly as we proposed earlier. No trade exclusions.

What does it matter anyway? The real strategy, I think, is to do the best you can with what you are given,
    even if you only have glaciers and swamp. Why have all these preset settings that may enhance one player
    who knows the perfect strategy for building with those settings? That would not be fair at all, IMO.

Comment

Holy ****.......took about twenty minutes after the forum upgrade to get to post reply......and being well stricken in years (contagious eh Quinns ) I can't quite remember what I am replying to....

Mine is a Chicken Egg Foo Yung with Fried Rice...

...sorry! I will take whatever settings, I will be available at 12:00 your time, thats 8:00pm BST . I agree a GL game would be unfair on Paul - Am I to take it that we are on a pure Land Map? Regular Size, better than average wetness and average trade goods?

How will a moderator work in an Internet game? Will we send saves every few turns?

Start Gold Bog Standard 100 yeh? 3 Settlers?

Looking Forward to it.....
      He's back after a fashion...

Comment

Could you save that game for a latter review?

I really want to learn the way of play from the No. 1 on GL, I think other players here also like it, 'coz PaulNo1 will never play vs one of us (newbies in GL like me).

Comment

Don't see why noe berXpert - If we take saves every few turns, then you can see how the strategy unfolds! - It would beintesting for a lot oepeople I am sure

Comment

Paul, please note that I have changed this to a NON GAMELEAGUE GAME. For you have nothing to gain from a victory in this game (a few piddly GL points as you mentioned), but everything to lose (according to Gameleague ratings calculation anyway). But it will still be a game played in all seriousness, (i.e. not a "fun" game, per se), but we hope to have "fun" at the same time .

We should start another another group of players (Internet CTP Players) on Apolyton using our same rating system that we have here on PBEM. The rating system used for CTP PBEM does not punish the "high ranked player playing the low ranked player" NEARLY as bad as GameLeague does. I could call this new club APLCPI (for APoLyton Call to Power -- Internet). The ratings would be calculated the same as the CTP PBEM Ratings, but would be in a separate thread called CTP Internet Ratings. This game could be the first of a series of these "internet" games rated here on Apolyton. I would administer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavrushka
              Holy ****.......took about twenty minutes after the forum upgrade to get to post reply......and being well stricken in years (contagious eh Quinns ) I can't quite remember what I am replying to....

Mine is a Chicken Egg Foo Yung with Fried Rice...

...sorry! I will take whatever settings, I will be available at 12:00 your time, thats 8:00pm BST . I agree a GL game would be unfair on Paul - Am I to take it that we are on a pure Land Map? Regular Size, better than average wetness and average trade goods?

How will a moderator work in an Internet game? Will we send saves every few turns?

Start Gold Bog Standard 100 yeh? 3 Settlers?

Looking Forward to it.....
              Gavrushka, we are still waiting to hear from Paul. If we don't hear anything by tomorrow, we'll cancel this game. We'll work out the details once Paul agrees to play. This topic has quieted down quite a bit. Perhaps he lost interest.

And yes, BerXpert, we will save the game every two or three turns so you can monitor the progress of the game once it is over (if there is a game, that is ).

Comment

I will except your map settings i guess boo
                played those settings the other day opponent found 10 settlers i found 0
                i hate luck, thats why i like isalnd games never find settlers.
                How about 5 settlers start and 10000 gold
                i didnt here any comment about wonders what did you want ?
                Good players never play with wonders!
                i can play your saturday i guess thats my sunday. I can also play any time thursday friday your time.

Comment

If all are willing, I'll moderate for you. I've the time to spare on the days you look to play, and I know what to look for in regards to "bugs" etc. Email is : soulless123@aol.com
                  Live EVERY day like it's the best day of your life, and it will be.

Comment

Paul, I didn't realise we were playing all land? I will accept any settings at all - I asked if it was all land - but I think we can compromise this?

Fuzzball, thanks - I think your offer would be much appreciated!!

Paul - you said about Wonders not being used by good players - I am NOT a good Player, it would be flattering me to describe me as average! I prefer Wonders, but again - it's a game, whatever applies to one applies to all...

One thing I do not agree with is 10,000 Gold.. Why so much? I would have no idea what to do with that much Gold - offer it to you as a gift?? LOL
                    5 Settlers is fine with me - and we are talking a regular map yes?

This weekend is going to be awkward for me except in the arly hours of the morning? My Wife has a Colleague staying until Tuesday Morning, and it would be difficult to play between 10:00 BST and 24:00BST..

Hell Paul, Quinns, choose the settings, I look forward to it!!

Comment

That's great, Paul, Gavrushka, and Fuzzball. Sounds like fun!

Saturday at 12:00 noon Pacific Daylight Time (Los Angeles)
                      Saturday at 8:00 p.m. (London)
                      Sunday at 7:00 a.m. (Auckland)

I agree with any settings you like, but I agree with Gavrushka about the gold. How about 1000 gold as a comprimise? Everything else is fine. No wonders is okay with me. And I, too, am not a "good" player. I have defeated many players, so I am "good" relative to those players. But I may be "awful" compared to you, Paul. I have given Blackice a run for his money (had him sweating), but I haven't, yet, defeated him. That gives you some idea of my ability.

And thanks Fuzzball for moderating! I'm not sure of the best way to do this, but I think we can agree on a way.

Comment

Quinns, unfortunately I have guests this weekend, perhaps I forgot to tell you, I distinctly remember two occassions where I forgot to tell you...

I can make it at say midnight BST Saturday or after - which makes the time better for you and Paul I am sure anyway?

By the way Paul, Quinns trashed me into oblivion the only game we completed.... Blackice thrashed me into Oblivion the only game we have completed, and my Cat rates her chances quite highly too.......

Comment

Alright Gavrushka, that's fine with me as well. I distinctly remember me forgetting that you told me that you had company two specific times.

So it is:

11:00 a.m. Sunday (Auckland)
                          12:00 a.m. Sunday (London midnight Saturday)
                          4:00 p.m Saturday (Los Angeles)

California 12 Server

How does that sound Paul?
                          Last edited by quinns; May 24, 2001, 18:14.

Comment

Thats a better time for me hehe
                            Ok if you want wonders then ill just recomment we exclude the big ones.
                            Labrinth
                            stonehenge
                            London
                            and edison but i not care about this one too much
                            These wonders should never be used too much of an advantage.
                            We didnt agree too a land game did we ?
                            I thought you said settings all 50%
                            i dont care too much but wouldnt want land any more than 50 %
                            ill comment further later

Comment

Paul, now that was refreshing......I thought I was the only one that considered Stonehenge a Biggy - It is the only wonder I build in the Ancient World...... Gives your cities a massive boost and allows them to work more 'production squares' than anyone else....Oh but damn you it is now banned.....LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X