This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Play Through A Proxy Server

I am running a LAN which uses a DHCP server and Wingate to give all my workstations internet access through a single proxy server. Problem is, when I try to connect to create or join an Internet game it comes up with a 'Waiting for Servers' box and does nothing.

I have located the server addresses and UDP ports, but need to find a way to configure the game such that it will locate a server through my proxy.

Can anybody help? Please!!

I think I may need to configure WinGate somehow aswell. On the other hand, I have full Internet functionality through the proxy, including ICQ ...

Any ideas?

TIA

Jagusti

Hey, I'm just not sure that CTP TC/IP play is configured to work through a proxy. Half-Life has the same problem. It very well might be fixed in the patch though.

------------------
    You may fire when ready.
    That's no moon......
    --------------

Comment

Well .. that didn't take long .. Problem solved, and I learnt a few things in the process.

For the benefit of all this is the low-down on how to configure your proxy server and the game to play Internet games through some kind of firewall. Turns out to be easier than originally anticipated. If you're messing around with proxy servers yourself then you should be able to follow this.

1 - PROXY SERVER

Create a UDP Mapping Service which maps to a server of your choice, eg, uk1.alink.activision.com. Use port 21157, which is what the server listens to.

2 - CIV:CTP

Edit the bootserv.txt in the ctp_program\ctp directory so that the second listing of the server on each line is replaced by the name of the proxy server on your LAN. For example, if your proxy server is called wingate, change

uk1.alink.activision.com uk1.alink.activision.com
      to
      uk1.alink.activision.com wingate

For more info on Activision server configurations please check out Dan Kegel's server FAQ: http://us4.alink.activision.com/anet.html.
      Another article he has written on peer-to-peer networking across the Internet is at: http://alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/peer-nat.html

Hope somebody finds this useful (deathstar4?)

Jagusti

Comment

*bump*
        Apolyton QuickStart for CTP PBEM

Comment

*bump*
          "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

*bump*

geez these ****in low ceilings

Comment

*bump* again
              Apolyton QuickStart for CTP PBEM

Comment

*^bump^*

mental note: bump again in 6 months
                [This message has been edited by Saddam (edited May 14, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

1 - PROXY SERVER

Create a UDP Mapping Service which maps to a server of your choice, eg, uk1.alink.activision.com. Use port 21157, which is what the server listens to.

For more info on Activision server configurations please check out Dan Kegel's server FAQ: http://us4.alink.activision.com/anet.html.

Usefull it sure is but unfortunately it did not yet solve it for me. I am using MS Proxyserver version 2.0. Can you tell me how to create the UDP Mapping Service for this proxyserver?

The link to Dan Kegel's server FAQ: http://us4.alink.activision.com/anet.html gives me a 404 error. Is something wrong with the link?

[This message has been edited by Franses (edited May 19, 2001).]
                  Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

*bump*

Actually franses, all are errors. Activision servers dont normally show up the next. But you can try california12.activision.com

anyway, that is the only one that doesnt come up with a '404'.. Just dont type www. infront of it. For some reason it messes up

Wonder if jagusti is still around...
                    Last edited by faded glory; May 28, 2001, 22:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X