What happens to defeated teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to defeated teams?

It's not really a problem and I think that all of the teams got hit with the delay.

And one good thing about DG's is even if you don't know anything really important, doesn't mean that You won't have anything useful to say.

And that also goes with just lurking.

But this issue does present an issue that might have to be brought back up in the future. That would be the issue of Refugees from destroyed civs. How do we handle that?? Atleast we can start talking about it now and not when the need arises...

E_T
    Come and see me at WePlayCiv
    Worship the Comic here!
    Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Destroyed civs should only be able to join their conqueror. Otherwise you have no incentive to try to survive at all costs. A civ in process of defeat would otherwise just try to do as much damage as possible to their conqueror, and then just migrate all to another civ to continue the war.

Are permanent alliances on btw?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      Destroyed civs should only be able to join their conqueror. Otherwise you have no incentive to try to survive at all costs. A civ in process of defeat would otherwise just try to do as much damage as possible to their conqueror, and then just migrate all to another civ to continue the war.
      If you know you're going to be defeated, wouldn't you go for the first thing regardless? I'd want my revenge.

As for the second thing, that might happen if there was a mass migration. You assume everyone will want to rejoin, that they will all go for the same team, and that that team will let them all in, though.

I don't think losers should be restricted to rejoining their conquerors. Perhaps restricted to those their team had made contact with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
        I'd want my revenge.
        Quoted for Exactly the reason why defeated people shouldn't be allowed to join any other civ. It would be unfair for a conqueror civ if they had good relations with other civs, but those relations all turn sour suddenly because there's an influx of new people who only want revenge.

In such a situation it would actually be better for a conqueror civ to just leave a defeated civ one weak city, just to prevent them migrating to somewhere else...
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I agree with you Maniac, this is only a game, some win some lose, those who find themselves losing should not have the right to take there disappointment into other teams in an attempt to exact revenge.

In some circumstances though, say a team had an ally who were both at war with the conquering team, then no reason why the members of a dead team could not join their allies team.

However that ally team may want to consider picking its allies more carefully especially as it would find itself alone fighting a foe it was bought into war against by its now dead ally
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

I sort of agree with you Chris and Maniac. My thinking however is that folks WILL find compatible teams to join - plus teams aren't required to accept them.

It seems like it would be asking a bit much for members from a defeated team to join the group that did it to them. It would be hard for both teams.

I would entertain the thought of letting people choose a new team on their own and trust the mechanics of human interaction to sort people to the correct places.

GB

Comment

btw, experience from the PTWDG shows us that not a whole lot of people from defeated teams actually WANT to join other teams (well, maybe to observe, but not to really participate)
              Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
              King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
              ---------
              May God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear
                teams aren't required to accept them.
                As GB and I point out, teams can regulate this themselves. I wouldn't want my team flooded by a coalition of people trying to get us to go to war with someone. If I had an entire defeated team apply to mine, I'd tell them to select a few and find other places for the rest; I wouldn't want my team's previous identity and history being overwhelmed by another's.

If a team is willing to undergo this, they probably have it out for whatever team they will be biased against anyway.

Comment

The conquering team should atleast be required to let people join.
                  no sig

Comment

If I were only allowed to join a team that conquered mine then as soon as it was apparent that my team would lose, I'd go belly up and 'give' away as much of my civ to that conquering team as I could get away with. I mean if it is going to be my future team why wouldn't I help it out as much as I can while I'm on my death bed.

Because of that, I'd say that yyou shouldn't be able to h\join the team that conquered you; that takes away any incentive to go belly up to your conqueror.

Comment

I don't think a team would want to be required to let anyone join, I know I wouldn't... though I'd hope conquering teams will not bear their former victims any special ill will if they apply.

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                        The conquering team should atleast be required to let people join.
                        The eleven people of the Mercs should be required to take in all 31 members of GS?

GS should be forced to take people in even if they might be 'problem posters'?

I don't think I can agree with that.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

The eleven people of the Mercs should be required to take in all 31 members of GS?
                          I dare say that sounds like an ominous prediction!

Comment

What happens to dead teams?

Split from another thread...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

... and I am such a confused little Bear (Golden of course).

This is actually a really interesting discussion with people pointing out substantial flaws in other arguments! I wonder if it will actually reach a consensus resolution? Let's watch...

Comment

Working...
                              X