What Settings will we use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Settings will we use?

I for some reason can't find the 'victory conditions' thread, that I seem to recall there being ... maybe I'm losing it?

Anyhow, there are other setting to consider, including victory conditions...
    • Which victory conditions - all, only conquest, or in between
    • Level of Barb activity - Barbs in Civ4 are serious stuff
    • Level to play on - Noble, Prince, or higher
    • Various alliance and tech-trading settings
    • City Razing
    • City Flipping (conquest, culture)
    • Speed
    • Era

Speed was previously agreed by most players to be Normal, though that could be revisited if desired. Era is assumed to be Ancient, though I'd argue a Modern game might be more interesting

Thoughts?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

edit: Sorry, thought this was for SPDG for a minute.

Modern would be interesting, though don't know if space race should be in if we start there.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Re: What Settings will we use?

• City Razing
      • Speed
      • Era
      Since barbs will be the only AI around, I definitely prefer them raging around.
      Except for barbs, the level doesn't matter much I suppose since the real player teams will have the same handicap anyway.
      Yes on both alliances and tech trading.
      City razing allowed, as with flipping.
      And definitely the Ancient era. Let us built a civilisation to make the test of time.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

While I completely agree with Unorthodox that a modern start would be a blast, there's no way we'll get the hardline traditionalists to agree to that.

A modern game might actually END before the expansion pack, though. :P
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Which victory conditions - diplomatic-go for UN-teams have to vote ...
          Level of Barb activity - None
          Level to play on - Noble
          Various alliance and tech-trading settings-go for open borders
          City Razing - YES
          City Flipping (conquest, culture)
          Speed- other than marathon
          Era- many new pepole-very begining
          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

All of the settings should be decided by the teams, and not by individuals, otherwise teams with more members will have a greater influence.

And I would say that the decisions should be made by friday evening sometime EDT, so the map can be generated and then tweaked by the mods some time over the weekend, and the game started as well. So all decisions should (IMO) be sent to the mods by friday as well.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              • City Razing

What should be decided on these ? Are they banned in some games ?
              no sig

Comment

Yes, they are limited or banned in many games.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Raging Barbs would be cool, then we see who knows how to play CIV dont we
                  A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    I for some reason can't find the 'victory conditions' thread, that I seem to recall there being ... maybe I'm losing it?

Anyhow, there are other setting to consider, including victory conditions...
                    • City Razing
                    • Speed
                    • Era

Speed was previously agreed by most players to be Normal, though that could be revisited if desired. Era is assumed to be Ancient, though I'd argue a Modern game might be more interesting

Thoughts?
                    All Victory Conditions except Shared Victory.

Level of barbs: None or Normal. We want skill to be the main factor, not who started closest to Desert/Tundra.

Level: The default level for Civ 4 is Noble, so Noble.
                    Watch out for anyone suggesting a higher difficulty, as they may be planning on leveraging the Expansive trait.

Alliances: All except permanent
                    Trading: No restrictions. Trading (say) resources over a period of time for a tech now should also be allowed if someone wants to do so

Razing: Yes, and GOD YES.

Flipping: Conquest Yes, Culture Yes.

Speed: Normal

Era: Ancient

Comment

As the poster in the the "How to pick Civs" thread posted, we ought to also choose on which map script to use.

Pick out of, say, Pangaea, Continents, Archipelago, islands, etc? One vote per team, etc...
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

As of yet I do not know what my team's view is, but personally:
                        • Which victory conditions - all except space race (lets be realistic!)
                        • Level of Barb activity - Raging Barbs to keep us on our toes
                        • Level to play on - Noble of course
                        • Various alliance and tech-trading settings - No restrictions
                        • City Razing - Yes
                        • City Flipping (conquest, culture) - Yes
                        • Speed - Normal
                        • Era - Ancient or Classical or Modern (in order of prefference)

A Modern game might be more interesting for the second DG (tough I realize that'd be years from now )
                        "You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war" - Albert Einstein
                        Eternal Ruler of the Incan Empire in the History of The World 5 Diplomacy Game. The Diplogame HotW 6 is being set up.
                        Citizen of the Civ4 Single Player Democracy Game JOIN US!
                        Wanna play some PBEMs!?

Comment

Allow me to bring up the question of allied victories.

Should we allow these, yes or no? If yes, how do we enforce them, if at all?

With Police State, two teams can sign a Permanent Alliance, but it's in neither team's best interest to do so even if they do in fact plan to pursue a allied victory. In any case, Fascism comes quite late in the game, so what do we do about metagame permanent alliances signed pre-Fascism?

A lot of the controversy with allied victories is that they are kept secret. So it's sort of a let-down for the teams not involved in alliance to be informed that they have "lost", in their eyes, prematurely. An answer to this would be to require teams to publicly declare such alliances, enforceable by the admins (who have access to private forums).

However, one could also argue that if all teams know allied victories are allowable form the start, this adds an interesting dimension to diplomacy: make powerful friends or lose, to put it simply.

We also need to discuss the Mercenary Team's role in all of this.
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                            We also need to discuss the Mercenary Team's role in all of this.
                            By its self-declared nature, it sounds to me that the MT can't sign any sort of permanent alliance, because one day for sure there will be a request for troops against their "best client to date".

As I see it, that team is simply an asset to call upon or not when the price is right.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Personally I'm against the concept of an allied victory, simply because I predict it will polarize this game into a 4v3, and the smallest team will probably lose.

Of course, it might well be 3v3 with the Merc team remaining neutral, but I seriously doubt the Mercs will truly non-partisan, especially in the face of potential extermination. In any case, whichever teams buys off the Mercs faster or more completely would be at an advantage.

Also, I want to see one team win this game, but this is purely a matter of personal preference.
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X