X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the MP game going.

For you management types I think what we need is a POAM

POAM for CIV IV Apoly Intersite Game.

A drop dead date for new teams, mergers, etc. (01 December?)

A drop dead date to have an admin. (01 December? Id like to have at least one person here with extensive beta test experience but that is just MHO.)

A drop dead date to have our forums. (15 December?)

A drop dead date to have Civ Choices and map choices in. (15 January?)

A drop dead date to start (01 February?)

These are just dates I put in based on what Ive read in other threads.

Feel free to discuss, this is after all a discussion forum.
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

For me it'd be

1.teams 15 oct
    2.admins 15 oct
    3.forums 1 dec
    4.choices 15 dec
    5.start 1jan (it'd be hilarious if we started in NYD or a day later).
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

15 Oct? Unless you're talking about 2006 such a schedule isn't going to work.

I would wait a while for new teams (2 months or so). There's going to be a lot more people joining the site and wanting to become involved. There's a strong possibility more teams with strong memberships could be formed between now and the start date.

Of course, there's always the issue of keeping interest. If the proposed start is 1 Feb that's a while to keep people from wandering off.

Comment

I'm with Trip. We need to give more people more time to get the game, then get comfortable with the game, and then they might consider starting teams. Rushing things will only result in excluding people who might otherwise be interested, active players.
        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Propose dates then

I'm all for new players getting interested and active. However there are teams that due to security reasons probably wont take new players on.
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Okay, con, your early dates could be okay then (teams, admins), but set the 2 late ones to 2 weeks earlier, so we start in 15Jan.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

It might be kind of tough to have our map choices in.

People are going to whine and moan about it being over the hoilidays, and they have a hard time posting because they are home at mommies house and stuff like that.

Thats why I initially placed the map selections at the middle of the month instead of 01 Jan.

With that being said I am personnally all for moving up the time table. So if the consensus agrees I'm all up for it, myself.

Comment

Well, I think the most reasonable people will be online time by time and will post some reasonable thoughts on map preferences.

You can say it's a restriction to democracy, but it works much better than endless bickering,

From my side I would like small map and continents with 1-3 civs on each.

Reasons:
                small: there are bunch of people having problems keeping up with requirements.

continents: well, I don't really think anyone wants all 7+ civs stacked on a huge pangea, nor a little island for each.

Comment

Continents seems to be the usual set up for this kind of game. The aberation being the C3C Intersite game.

I guess it depends upon how the majority is viewing this game. I see this as more of an experiment vice a loooong term commitment so I would prefer a "shorter game", which means pangea would work better, but thats just me.

Comment

TEAM BANANA is chewing over the op

WE will get back to you
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Organization

Never a bad thing to start planning. Plans can be changed, but this way we get the ball rolling.

I agree, btw, that setting 01/01/06 as a hard date for ANYTHING is a bad idea - too many of us will likely be tied up around then to pay proper attention. 1/15/06 is a far better date.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Looks like I missed a few steps. E_T posted in the "Which teams are playing" thread:

Originally posted by E_T
                        Speaking of super secret forums....

We need several things to get together, before we can actually get this game started. So, lets list them:

1) Private Forums
                        2) Admins for the game, with access to ALL forums
                        3) Ruleset that is debated and agreed on by all team members. This includes the proper powers for the admin(s) to take whatever measures are required, by the ruleset, if needed.
                        4) Game type (mapsize, difficulty, ect)
                        5) Selection of civs for each team (in past games, providing a choice of 3 civs, ranked from 1 to 3, to the admins. They make final decision, for who gets what - had worked very well).
                        6) Getting last little things out of way and getting the game started.

Yeah, this is a long process, but we can get a start. While we start getting things going, some of the others (like the patch issue) might take care of itself.

One thing that I have to stress. The American Thanksgiving, followed by the Christmas season are going to be apon us very soon. In my last couple of year experiance with DG's, this is a time when those games suffer from people being on holiday, away from home or just out doing the Xmas thing... So, in light of this, it wouldn't be reasonable to try to start this before the begining of next year.

So, we have time to get most of the above done by then.

Let's not rush into this.

E_T

Comment

1/15/06 is a far better date.
                          conmcb25, how about you look over this thread, gather the debated-upon dates (some already are agreed I see, like private forums, admins) and make a poll..?

Comment

OK sounds good. Ill try and get to that today or this evening depending upon how work goes

Comment

Bump. YO! Let's get a timetable here - Fried want whack someone.
                              Friedrich Psitalon
                              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                              X