This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature's Wrath - Random Natural Disasters

At Icedan's suggestion, I'm moving this thread here from the General forum.
    The suggestion is to include disasters in CivIII. They were present in Civ, but did'nt make the cut for Civ2.
    Suggestions so far include:
    - having specific land types targeted by specific disasters, i.e.: tornadoes hit plains and grasslands, tsunamis hit coastal squares, and floods hit cities on rivers.
    - having specific targets for natural disasters, i.e.: tsunamis destroy coastal improvements such as harbors and ports, while floods destroy aqueducts or sewer sytems.
    - having different levels of disasters, such as Minor and Major earthquakes.
    - presenting disasters as punishments from the gods, with fundamentalist gov'ts being hit less often or less severely (this idea did not garner much support)
    - technologies and city improvements which either lessen the chances of being hit by a disaster or provide warnings as to where they will occur, i.e.: Seismological Center decreases a city's chance of being hit by earthquakes, or provides a warning before they occur, or a Seismology advance which shows where fault lines are located and which mountains are likely to spew magma for no particular reason.
    -having disasters kill pop. points
    -providing an evacuation option once warnings have been given. The suggestion was that an evacuation order would cause a city to cease all production for one turn while the disaster takes its toll. In exchange, the city is spared some or all damage.
    The original thread is on CivIII General forum under Nature's Wrath.
    Anarchist Supreme of the Newly Glorious PROT!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them
    One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them."

Well, I'll admit this goes farther than most people's suggestions about natural disasters-random events. But you need to put it in an existing thread-probably MISCELLANEOUS-in order to insure it will be included in the List to Firaxis.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Thanks Theben... like everybody says, this list has a few more rules that seem to screw people up. Is there any way I can direct deposit this in another thread to save some time?
      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by bcr3 (edited August 16, 1999).]</font>
      Anarchist Supreme of the Newly Glorious PROT!

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them
      One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them."

Comment

The topic? No. The post itself? Cut n' paste?
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

bcr: I like these ideas and previously posted some similar thoughts in the "Other" thread. If it's not too late, perhaps the ideas set forth here can be added there.
          "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
          Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
          X