This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THREAD CLOSED -- THREAD CLOSED -- THREAD CLOSED

Please continue in <a href=http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum28/HTML/000078.html>TECHNOLOGY (ver1.3): Hosted by Octopus</a>.

------------------
    CIV3-THE MASTER LIST-TECHNOLOGY "THREAD MASTER"
    "Can you debate an issue without distorting my statements and the english language?"
    -- berzerker, August 12, 1999 04:17 AM, EDT, in Libertarianism and Coercion

Comment

Dammit, Shining1, stop posting in threads while I'm posting my "Thread Closed" message! (Is this just a coincedence, or are you spying on me?)

------------------
      CIV3-THE MASTER LIST-TECHNOLOGY "THREAD MASTER"
      "Can you debate an issue without distorting my statements and the english language?"
      -- berzerker, August 12, 1999 04:17 AM, EDT, in Libertarianism and Coercion

Comment

New Techs:

I think the lists of techs in CivII and CtP are a good starting point. They have little overlap, and most of the similar techs can be used to flesh out subtle differences. (i.e. stoneworking and masonry; electrification, eletronics; domestication, horseback riding).

I agree with some of the posters that the tech tree needs more non-math-and-physics techs. While my own expanded tree isn't done yet, here's a lot of new techs. I tried to add more artistic/social techs, and some physical science / engineering techs that were important historically, but are usually overlooked.

- Copper Smelting (before bronze)
        - Animism (early religion)
        - Brewing (allows beer!), Herbal Remedies
        - Weaving, Potters Wheel
        - Geography
        - History, Tragedy/Literature, Rhetoric
        - Plumbing (essential for mining, which should appear much later)
        - Lens Grinding, Heliocentrism, Orbital Mechanics, Calculus
        - Discipline, Training, Art of War, Standing Army, Mobilization
        - Credit, Mercantilism, Urbanization, Rationalization (a la Max Weber), Capital Markets, Regulation
        - Cash Crops, Crop Rotation, Agricultural Investment, Mechanical Farming, Artifical Fertilizers
        - Enlightenment, Revolution, Social Reform (for labor union), Women's Movement
        - Anatomy, Physiology, Botany, Cell Theory, Germ Theory, Immunization
        - Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Electric Light
        - Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Ceramics, Periodic Table

Note that some of these are a subdivision of existing techs. For example, I think that a tech called "Industrialization" is silly - it is a whole phase of the game lasting several hundred years. It can be broken down into many individual techs, industrial, economic, scientific, and social.

wheathin

Comment

Working...
        X