New Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Stories

The story section is my favorite part of the forum - I like hearing about how others choose to play Civ III.

My first (and current) game includes 14 Civs on a large map that consists mainly of (small to medium sized) islands and lots of water. I am the Americans and I share my island with the Aztecs. I found them early, which commenced the race to inhabit the island. Soon, every square was under my control or theirs. I believe it was around the year 1000 A.D. (I am unsure about that)when they moved troops into my territory. Having already noticed that their activity along the border I raised what I considered to be an army easily capable of absoarbing any offensive the Aztecs might try. I had several veteran warriors, archers, and a couple of defensive units in place. They declared war on me when I demanded that their troops get out of my territory. Instead of engaging my defensive units, however, the Aztec warriors and archers made a b-line for a poorly defended city BEHIND my defenses. I was stunned. I was even more stunned when approximately 15 other units followed in behind. The assault on Baltimore was ruthless. It fell within three turns, followed by Chicago and Philadelphia. I was not expecting the AI to be this bright.

Three hundred years later, I reclaimed my territory. To do so, I launched an offensive with Knights, Swordsmen, Pikemen, groups of catapults and eventually musketmen. My moves were carefully planned, and I intentionally occupied strategic locations as if I were playing against another human.

The interface might be a little flaky, and maybe the advisors are odd with consistently inappropriate expressions, but the combat side of the game is so much fun. Well done.

Brody
Working...
X