ELEPHANTS
    SPICE

Resources:

HORSES
    IRON
    URANIUM
    RUBBER
    OIL
    ALUMINIUM (Only heretics spell aluminium as aluminum )

Any more commodities we are certain about?
    [This message has been edited by Roman (edited May 16, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Roman (edited May 16, 2001).]
    Rome rules

No other confirmes luxuries/ resources? Anyone?
    Rome rules

Comment

I've heard Firaxis talk about oil a few times, and I doubt they would leave it out.

------------------
      "Third option, third option!"
      Let's have civ bonuses that YOU control!
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Here's my guesses at figuring out the Baltimore city-management screen from Gamespot:

Taking a look at the resources in the top right, they appear to be
        (top row from left to right)
        horses (or deer)
        elephants (or ivory)
        fish
        cattle
        gems (or diamonds)
        ???
        wheat
        wine (or grapes).

(bottom row left to right)
        coal?
        gold
        oil?
        spices (look like salt, pepper, etc)
        paper
        ???
        thread (or cloth)?
        ???

Most are obvious though for a few I'm at a loss as to what they could be

Comment

Last one: Incense??

Comment

From the Official Civ 3 Website

quote:

Luxuries, such as spice, silk, and diamonds, increase the happiness of your people. Resources, like iron, oil, and uranium, allow the construction of specific units and buildings.

Add spice and oil.

(Incidentally, resource "tiles" are apparently now somewhat independent of the luxury/resource system. For example, the page specifically mentions that "a tile with wheat provides two extra food," but does not provide either a luxury or resource. So, there's now a difference between a desert square with "oil" and a desert square with an "oasis," for example: the oil tile provides the resource oil in addition to some extra shields, but the oasis merely provides a food and trade bonus.)
            "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Spice and oil added - Thanks! Keep the info flowing!
              Rome rules

Comment

Acording to the most recent prewiev there will be a total of 9 rescources and 9 luxuries
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I just recalled the board game civilization has commodities for trade, maybe a few of those has made it to the game so I list them here:

1 Hides, Ochre
                  2 Iron, Papyrus
                  3 Salt, Timber
                  4 Grain, Oil
                  5 Wine, Cloth
                  6 Silver, Bronze
                  7 Spice, Resin
                  8 Gems, Dye
                  9 Gold, Ivory
                  får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

according to the gamespy article
                    http://www.gamespy.com/e3/civ3/

quote:

Civilization III will have nine different resources as well as nine different luxuries that players will be able to trade with in the game.

korn469

Comment

Does anyone know whether these "resources" are permanent markers on the landscape or if they "die out" or are exhausted after a certain number of turns? (e.g. you build a mine for Iron, does it run out after you've been mining the same spot for 500 years?)
                      Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                      Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                      Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                      Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Yeah, incense and dye are in one of the Gamespy screenshots. The same screenshot also includes ivory, and actually I think that's what "elephants" actually is. The icon you see on the screen is an elephant, but the actual luxury is probably ivory.
                        "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

In the right of http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp...iv3/image2.jpg Dye and Incense are listed as Luxuries.
                          Add them.
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by EnochF on 05-17-2001 09:47 PM
                            Yeah, incense and dye are in one of the Gamespy screenshots. The same screenshot also includes ivory, and actually I think that's what "elephants" actually is. The icon you see on the screen is an elephant, but the actual luxury is probably ivory.

I don't know, I'd be pretty happy to have an elephant as a pet, that's sure be a luxury to me

I guess that the elephant is ivory too

Comment

You forgot coal and gold, they are both in the screenshots, maybe silver is too, but I don't know!!!

I know that coal is on of the resources, and gold is most likely a luxury!!!

You can add those to your list Roman!!!
                              "What is the Matrix?" -Neo
                              "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth." -Morpheus [The Matrix]

Comment

Working...
                              X