No announcement yet.

Civ Specific Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That means you have no unique or custom at start abilities and no chance to get unique or custom abilities throughout the game. Entirely different to earning a custom ability of some kind by developing your civilisation along a certain path to get it. Instead of being told "pick from the following at 4000BC: Roman Legionary, German Panzer, American F-15" I want to be able to say "It is 800 BC, the persions are kicking my arse, I NEED Legions or Cataphracts to turn the tide, how can I get them?" and preferably without killing any chance of earning a different feature 2,000 years later. Any nation that has a long history like England/Britain has had at least one identifiably unique feature in every period of history. Whichever one they choose to represent their uniqueness for the game, it is going to leave the nation featureless and bland throughout the rest of history.

Incidentally, since we are now down to a small number of real civs I want to revive the suggestion for identifying their units with real historical flags not silly touches of their "player colour" (Blech) on their units.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I see what you mean, Grumbold, but I doubt it will be implemented.

Anyway, I am more than satisfied with the announcement.
      Rome rules

Comment

I'm also perfectly happy with this solution. I never really
        doubted they would make civ-specifics optional, though...

I'm also quite sure they will include good editing capabilities,
        where it will be possible to implement your ideas (at least for
        multiplayer games, where AI is not a factor )

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 05-14-2001 07:22 AM
          Incidentally, since we are now down to a small number of real civs I want to revive the suggestion for identifying their units with real historical flags not silly touches of their "player colour" (Blech) on their units.

Damn Skippy !! There's an option that with about 6 months remining in Civ3 development can still be changed in the final build. It would also be a nice touch to making Civ a more refined game. Colors just say placeholder art.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 05-14-2001 07:22 AM
            That means you have no unique or custom at start abilities and no chance to get unique or custom abilities throughout the game. Entirely different to earning a custom ability of some kind by developing your civilisation along a certain path to get it. Instead of being told "pick from the following at 4000BC: Roman Legionary, German Panzer, American F-15" I want to be able to say "It is 800 BC, the persions are kicking my arse, I NEED Legions or Cataphracts to turn the tide, how can I get them?" and preferably without killing any chance of earning a different feature 2,000 years later. Any nation that has a long history like England/Britain has had at least one identifiably unique feature in every period of history. Whichever one they choose to represent their uniqueness for the game, it is going to leave the nation featureless and bland throughout the rest of history.

Yes, the third choice add more deep than on/off switch. I'm afraid I renounced every hope Firaxis will put this thir choice at work: the needed tweak to tech tree, game rules and AI would probably be the stone too much who break the back of designers and developers.

quote:

Errh, that's a bit more difficult to me: what flag would you assign to Americans? Modern "50 stars" one? (sorry to all USA citizen, I don't know any proper name of your current flag), or early "independence day"?
            What about English colours? And Chinese? I understand Firaxis already chosed Mao as leader, hence you must chose related flags, but did Americans at the time of Lincoln president have the modern flag? (and can Americans players live without it? ).

------------------
            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
            [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited May 14, 2001).]
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

When you have a flag consisting of only 50 pixels, it doesn't really matter how many stars there are, its a blur to begin with. The difficulty lies in finding flags for nations such as the Aztecs, Mongols, or Ancient Greeks. I think the Romans could have the old Centurian Eagle Standard (the one the Nazis copied) But if flags are instituted such an option should have a toggle for waving or not waving (the units are animated, why not the flags?), so that a Roman standard would just be.

Such a feature would be a very nice deal if the pics were left as small gif or bmp files, because other flags could easily be imported and add a nice and easy touch to player scenarios or multiplayer maps.

Comment

Take a look at the EU website (www.europa-universalis.com) to see just how good these flags can look even with only a few pixels. Right, I promise to try not to mention that game again but it is worth a look just for the unit art
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

I haven't played EU, but the unit flags look great. Thats exactly what I'd like, though I think the flags should be lower on the unit because the map grid is much smaller in Civ and high flags could cover up terrain/other units

Comment

I'd rather not see sea improvements like SMAC, too future tech-like. The only such improvement I could see possible would be an off-shore drilling, but how many of those can you actually build and be useful? I'd rather it remain simple and kept as a city improvements. Although maybe a fishing trawler unit off-shore fishing far from the coast, as thats been done for a few centuries now. It's an idea, but not a vital one, Civ would be just as good without it

Comment

Well, this debate seems quite interesting, so let me put in my two red cents. I agree that unique units should not be forordained. Should wonders be forordained? Also, who says that one civ couldn't have more than one or two UUs? It is possible to gather more than your share of wonders, so why not UUs? The implimentation of this of course would be interesting to solve. Possibly be the first to research two certain techs? For Legions Iron Working and Army Reform? The first to build a 'unique units allowing building/unique unit wonder? For Legions Marius' Reforms?

All this aside, I have faith that no matter how they decide to do this, Sid will make a great game. Plus there is the option. Of course if everythings gone sour, I can always complain...
                      Visit My Crappy Site!!!!
                      http://john.jfreaks.com
                      -The Artist Within-

Comment

I bet Firaxis has been done with the game and they're just sitting in their offices playing it 24/7, laughing at all of us...

Grumbold, have you been eating a lot of your country's beef?
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well I don't know that I won't play with pre-destined Civ specific units but I doubt it. Thank goodness I can turn it OFF!

I mean, to know that you are playing against the German AI and to know that it is pre-destined to have this knowledge of Panzer tanks from 4000 BC FOR ME detracts from gameplay.

But it is important to realize that the vast majority of Civ buyers won't be that nitpicky about this or won't give a damn about the philosophical problem with pre-destined units and might enjoy this uniqueness.

Anyway, a good compromise for all involved.

(I know that know that a better solution would have been to have special units be available in the matter of wonder building so it is still available but simply not pre-destined but this is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AT THIS LATE STAGE!)

Comment

As mentioned elsewhere, one can make a good comparison between special units and wonders. Imagine if wonders were in the game, but only predetermined civs could have them, for instance when the Egyptians get Stone Building, suddenly they are given the Pyramids. Then, since a lot of people don't like this, the company includes an option to turn off wonders altogether.

What a shame that would be, because the company went through all the trouble of coming up with these wonders, doing all the art, playbalancing them, and then with the stupid decision of having the wonders be predetermined, ruin it. Having wonders turned off isn't a great idea, either. This is EXACTLY what Firaxis is doing with special units. If this happened with wonders, would you say you're "more than satisfied" or "perfectly happy" with that?!? I think not!

Some people are saying well, that may be true, but there's no way Firaxis is going to change things now. Think again. If Civ3 is gonna be released in early 2002, which it probably will be, they have the better part of the year to finish the game. Last we heard, they are only 50% done, and in some reviews they've publically stated how they are still tweaking with how some major features will work (leaders or culture, for instance).

They have done most of the work already in getting the graphics and playbalancing of special units working. To include an option that allows them to not be predetermined is very small potatoes in comparison.

Whether they do so or not I think will largely depend on how well their predetermined idea goes down. Already one game reviewer has snickered at it in an article. Firaxis folks read that, and also read these forums. If people here say, oh well, "I guess pretermined special units is as good as we can hope for, story over," the story will be over. If people here keep on Firaxis' case on this, I believe they'll respond to constructive criticism and make a relatively easy change to the game, a third option with special units.

Comment

MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS MINORTECHS

THis idea is the only way to placate both camps while still keeping unique units in.

------------------
                              One death is a tragedy; One million is a statistic
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

They are giving us a choice.

Good.

They recognize the balance issue, and claim the game will be balanced both ways.

Good, I'll trust em for now.

My remaining concern - will the UU's be so central to gameplay that disabling them leaves a hollow game? For example will iron still matter if i have UU's disabled? Will this be a Civ3 game that one can play equally well with or without UU's and participate in strategy discussions (like playing with different barb options in Civ2)

Or will it be a game largely about UU's(like AOE), with an option thrown in to satisfy us anti-UU freaks?

My impression is that the former will be the case, but we cant be sure until the game is released (or public beta )

LOTM
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X